IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Wonka: *****
It's a new origin story for Willy. He carries the same sense of whimsy and utter self-confidence as Gene Wilder, but without the edge of no-fucks-to-give danger appropriate to an older man. It has more references to the Wilder version than I can count, and probably many more than that that I didn't notice, but it's never heavy-handed fanservice.

I didn't notice any references to the Johnny Depp version, and didn't miss them. I haven't read the book, so can't say how heavily it drew on that.

The tone was light, but with genuine stakes. The music was good, though I don't think anything that will have the staying power of "World of Pure Imagination".

Definitely worth the couple hours.
--

Drew
New The Johnny Depp version was a lot truer to the books.
I think people forget how weird and dark Roald Dahl's writing was.

But the public prefer the somewhat more conventional Gene Wilder version. Which was brilliant in its own way, I might add.

Wade.
New I think Wilder had a brighter look, but was much darker thematically
I saw something online that I completely agree with: You can't talk about why Gene Wilder's Wonka was so good without acknowledging that you really believed he was ready to let each of those kids die without a second thought.

Depp's might have been a more off-putting character, but he was more childlike, almost a version of Edward Scissorhands. He wanted to be liked, but didn't know how to people.
--

Drew
New That's a good comparison.
     Wonka: ***** - (drook) - (3)
         The Johnny Depp version was a lot truer to the books. - (static) - (2)
             I think Wilder had a brighter look, but was much darker thematically - (drook) - (1)
                 That's a good comparison. -NT - (static)

Home of the hash-slinging slasher!
112 ms