IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New oncological update
We were in LA early in the month for tests and scans in advance of the patient’s potential enrollment in a round of clinical trials, since the “standard of care” regimen appears to have underperformed. The results were ambiguous: the dodgy spots on the liver, detected on the last scan, did not yield the desired genetic data upon needle biopsy: they were merely “necrotic tissue” rather than active tumors. The biopsy procedure itself was quite painful, and the radiologist does not want to perform it again. We’re left in limbo, rather.

Not sure where we go from here, but L continues to waste away. She was 128 pounds at the onset of the disease; is at 94 today. Her flesh hangs off her; she looks like a spent balloon. Hard to see where we go from here, except I imagine it’s nowhere good.

cordially,
New Sucks to hear, commiserations.
Tiny sliver of a possibility of silver lining: Maybe whatever treatment she's on is somewhat working, in the sense that "necrotic tissue" = tumors, specifically, dying off?

Hang in there! (Yeah, I know, horribly clichéd. Sorry I can't come up with anything better.)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Nothing to say other than acknowledgment
Keep engaged. Please.
New Ack :-(
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Commiserations as well
Sorry for being quiet on the updates, but I sadly have no good experiences to report re. this disease in my orbit.
New down to 89
However, there’s another possible therapeutic approach lately developed that appears to be efficacious in about 15% of cases, and it looks as though this can be undertaken in the Bay Area without, as in the formerly contemplated clinical trial, fortnightly drives to Los Angeles.

In preparation for the pending evaluation, she has discontinued the medical regimen in place since spring, and her appetite and general vigor have each improved as the drugs’ side effects have receded.

cordially,
New Thanksgiving!
She has gained five pounds!

weightily,
New Keep up the mashed potatoes!
--

Drew
New Re: Keep up the mashed potatoes!
Mashed potatoes alone aren't sufficiently fattening without the sour cream, butter, or greasy gravy they tend to be served with.
New Good sign!
This is your cue to start preparing more/different foods. Time to learn to cook for real.
New Giving thanks for that.
New Glad to hear there's still hope.
Take care of yourself too, it's hard on everyone.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New still a long shot
She just got off the blower with her Cedars oncologist. Friday’s scans show the disease continuing to advance, opening up branch offices in various other abdominal precincts. The new regimen begins in a week (with, we are cautioned, its own set of side effects). Her attitude continues to be “a long shot is better than no shot.”

cordially,
New Correct attitude; continue helping her keep that up.
New I’ve got her back
It is to be admired that, facing likely death next year (FSM grant that this be not so, but yeah, realistically), she is determined, without being delusional about it, to focus her contemplation on the prospects, however slender, of survival. Who knows? The horse could learn to sing.

cordially,
New You’re doing a fine job
Nothing is harder than this, and you’re stepping up to the plate, demonstrating considerable grace under fire.
New Thanks for the updates.
Very best wishes for you and her.

Cheers,
Scott.
New She's absolutely correct.
Gotta be in it to win it, as they say.

My 90yo father in law was to have shuffled off this mortal coil back in April of '22 according to his oncologists; he's in remission these days and as irascible as always.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     oncological update - (rcareaga) - (17)
         Sucks to hear, commiserations. - (CRConrad)
         Nothing to say other than acknowledgment - (crazy)
         Ack :-( -NT - (boxley)
         Commiserations as well - (scoenye)
         down to 89 - (rcareaga) - (12)
             Thanksgiving! - (rcareaga) - (11)
                 Keep up the mashed potatoes! -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Re: Keep up the mashed potatoes! - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Good sign! - (crazy)
                 Giving thanks for that. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Glad to hear there's still hope. - (malraux) - (6)
                     still a long shot - (rcareaga) - (5)
                         Correct attitude; continue helping her keep that up. -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             I’ve got her back - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                 You’re doing a fine job - (pwhysall)
                                 Thanks for the updates. - (Another Scott)
                         She's absolutely correct. - (malraux)

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
180 ms