IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New toy.
https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/niro-phev/2023

I got the SX Touring in blue. Paid full list at the dealer, which seems like a fair price these days. (The dealership experience was painless, and I didn't bother with True Car or similar buying services.)

I've driven it less than 100 miles so far. It's quite a change from my 2004 VW Jetta TDI Wagon. ;-)

I'm still figuring out the programming of all the stuff. There's some inconsistency in the paperwork (early documentation says it has wireless Andriod Auto, but it actually doesn't - one needs to plug the phone into the USB data port (or use a magic dongle).

It claims to have 33 miles of all-electric range when fully charged. I drove it on my normal commute today (a little over 11 miles each way) in EV mode and it only used 15 miles of battery. So that's very nice. (I'm still driving it very, very gently.) It will go over 82 MPH (IIRC) in full-EV mode, if you want.

I got around 75 MPG average indicated in hybrid mode (about 80% highway) on a 30-mile leg of a trip last Tuesday.

It uses some weird 0W-16 oil. Finding a list of maintenance items and routine parts has been a challenge (not listed in the owner's manual). The shop manual is only available to rent on-line - https://kiatechinfo.snapon.com/ (something like $19 for 72 hours access, includes all US Kias).

I'm quite impressed with it so far. Quite, comfortable, nice ride, good stereo, and it doesn't look like everything else on the road. I was a little dubious about the "boy racer" black "aero blade" in the back, but it's fine.

So far, I've only charged it once on 120V AC at home (we need electrical upgrades...). It charges at about 9% an hour at 12A. Planning ahead means it's fine. If I can get 2 full commuting days with it in full EV mode I'll be very, very pleased. (It wants one to keep the battery above 20% if possible, so that may not be likely. AC charging to 100% is fine. DC fast charging they want you to stay below 80% to save wear on the battery.)

There's an app for it on my phone. I don't know yet what I'll be giving up if I let the get-acquainted membership expire (there's a monthly fee, of course, after the trial period).

I'm hoping it lasts at least 10 years - by then, full EVs should be very, very good and fast charging (e.g. 10-15 minutes) should be very common.

We'll see!

Cheers,
Scott.
New A step into the modern direction!
My wife's car is a 2016 Toyota Prius V which is similar but not as capable in battery usage. It's function is to partially power the speeding up of the car and capture the slowing down to charge the battery.

Good luck!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New you have any issues getting insurance due to the theft issues?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New AFAIK, the lack of immobilizers was on older models.
https://www.carscoops.com/2023/02/heres-the-list-of-hyundai-and-kia-models-being-blacklisted-by-state-farm/

No insurance issues (so far anyway).

There are software updates for the affected models.

Cheers,
Scott.
     New toy. - (Another Scott) - (3)
         A step into the modern direction! - (a6l6e6x)
         you have any issues getting insurance due to the theft issues? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             AFAIK, the lack of immobilizers was on older models. - (Another Scott)

Spork - the other white utensil.
74 ms