IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Jackson sucking on that
Several years back—I’m too lazy to look it up—there were some paintings discovered in an attic that looked like Jackson Pollack’s work, and there was a lot of circumstantial evidence (location, age, chemical signatures of pigments and canvas) to make that supposition plausible. I have a vague impression that after further analysis it was concluded that circa 1950 some painter, having taken note of all the ink that had been spilled on JP’s paint, thought, “hell, I can do that!” and spattered accordingly. The identity of the unknown artist was not established, but no imputation of attempted fraud was made. It amuses me, though, to think (and I do not propose to weigh in here on the merits of Pollack’s corpus) that had the paintings been “authenticated” they would have been worth millions—as imitations, not so much, and this does seem to suggest that celebrity trumps artistry in this instance.

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 27, 2023, 05:49:20 PM EDT
New "This"?
Doesn't celebrity trump artistry in pretty much all instances?

(I'd add a winking smiley, if only it weren't so depressingly true.)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Hmm, now that you've prompted me to think more about it ...
Celebrity trumps artistry in the world of "fine art". But in popular art - thinking movies in particular here - people may go see a movie because Scorsese directed it, but will still happily give a bad review if they didn't like it.

I guess this is the difference between enjoying art for what it does for you, vs. wanting art for what it says about you for having it.
--

Drew
New Depends on how you count coup on the trump.
They went and paid to watch it, who cares about their reviews (especially since they aren't celebrities). In the wallets of all concerned parties -- which is where humanity counts its score-keeping, innit? -- celebrity trumped artistry.

(What, me cynical?)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Well, so much for my plan to make a fortune out of these things - (rcareaga) - (26)
         Of course I have an opinion - (drook) - (3)
             I wonder how this applies to code generators? - (crazy) - (2)
                 Or compilers - (drook)
                 In my line of argumentation, that's cut and dry: - (CRConrad)
         workaround include that AI in a corporation and have the corporation copyright the material -NT - (boxley)
         I'm with the CO and its teeming myriads. - (CRConrad) - (15)
             Quibble - (malraux) - (3)
                 So should the copyright to the result belong to... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Hence "quibble" instead of "substantive argument" ;-) -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                         👍🏻 -NT - (CRConrad)
             What about landscape photos? - (drook) - (6)
                 rofl sounds like a familiar argument -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                     It sounds silly now, but painters used to say exactly that -NT - (drook) - (4)
                         you wern't saying that a number of years ago -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                             Which "that" was I not saying? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                 Re: Which "that" was I not saying? - (boxley) - (1)
                                     First difference I can think of is IP vs physical - (drook)
             Jackson sucking on that - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 "This"? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Hmm, now that you've prompted me to think more about it ... - (drook) - (1)
                         Depends on how you count coup on the trump. - (CRConrad)
         For the defense - (rcareaga) - (3)
             The thing about "in the style of ..." - (drook) - (2)
                 I have a Greg cherry hologram - (crazy) - (1)
                     But if someone *could* reproduce it ... - (drook)
         I think you're Ok, if this story is correct. - (Another Scott)

If nautical nonsense be what ye wish...
136 ms