IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's the Chinese Room.
Another plug here for "Blindsight" by Peter Watts.

Basically they're approaching p-zombie stage where there's no "there" there, but you can't tell the difference.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New “Blindsight” was indeed impressive
I need to unearth it again. It may be that “consciousness” as we understand it, is overrated. The notion that some vast superhuman entity, if it exists—call it God, or some non-personified Cosmic Organizing Principle—would perforce be “self”-aware strikes me as the sort of assumption that comes as naturally to humans as might the belief, to a race of theologically-minded grizzlies, that the production of nice fat salmon is the necessary end and goal of the universe.

And when, as certainly seems possible, we devise entities that, with no “there” there, behave otherwise, appearing not merely to exhibit intentionality but to act* as though possessing this, might we begin to ponder our own processes—is there truly a there here?

idly,

*As in one of those fanciful doomsday scenarios wherein an AI directed to manufacture paperclips exterminates humanity “without a thought”—not even for shits and giggles—in order to maximize production.
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 25, 2023, 05:39:46 PM EDT
New Well, consciousness is a problem.
Science doesn't know what it is or have any way to measure it. It was formerly thought that consciousness was created by complexity. Today, some, especially those exposed to quantum physics, are thinking it is consciousness that produces complexity.

Without consciousness it is all clever programming and lacks intent - though it can be programmed to imitate intent.
New Imitated intent is just as valid.
And that's the whole point: simulated intelligence/consciousness/intent is like inertia, and impossible to tell from acceleration vs. a gravity well. Might as well assume it is the real thing if you can't tell the difference from your reference point.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I looked that up last time you mentioned it.
Felt so familiar I'm fairly sure I've read it... But too long ago, can't really remember what I thought of it.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New It's online
https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

Putting that on my between meetings reading list.
--

Drew
New Thanks!
     Updike misUpderstood - (rcareaga) - (9)
         Here's the thing - (drook)
         I would have asked why would updike carry insurance? -NT - (boxley)
         It's the Chinese Room. - (malraux) - (6)
             “Blindsight” was indeed impressive - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Well, consciousness is a problem. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Imitated intent is just as valid. - (malraux)
             I looked that up last time you mentioned it. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 It's online - (drook) - (1)
                     Thanks! -NT - (CRConrad)

Unfortunately, with great ambition comes great shit hitting the fan.
71 ms