IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New language tokens &c
being able to produce language tokens doesn't remotely resemble thought or planning
True enough, but machine sentience, when and if it arrives, won’t necessarily resemble thought or planning as we understand these. I still think that the 2014 film Ex Machina made this point brilliantly: the audience is prepared throughout, along with the protagonist, to see the fembot “Ava” as a human female analogue, and at the end the film makes clear that it—not her—is neither female nor human.

Even absent sentience and intentionality as we presently understand these, the (primitive, as measured by the standards we’ll apply before the end of next year, if not sooner) sundry iterations at large are beginning to simulate such elements, and the difference between the consequences of blind and of “directed” AI actions will, I predict, rapidly blur.

cordially, and I-told-you-so,
New Oh, they don't need thought or planning to be dangerous.
The difference between actual thought and planning, and a high fidelity impersonation of actual thought and planning, will be lost on those who are simulated out of existence.

"Blindsight" by Peter Watts is a good exploration of such topics.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New best description of ITIL I have seen yet
The difference between actual thought and planning, and a high fidelity impersonation of actual thought and planning
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New 😂
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Then ISO 9000 to thoroughly document the impersonation
--

Drew
     An alarmist take on the state of the art - (rcareaga) - (16)
         Make the next few years good ones. - (malraux) - (15)
             Yeah, it doesn't have to be excellent to scam people. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                 Training is cheap now too. - (malraux)
                 Samsung beat them to that punch... - (scoenye)
                 It's already useful - (drook) - (6)
                     The copied voices are ok - (malraux) - (5)
                         It's already effectively passing the Turing test - (drook) - (4)
                             As I said, it will fool a lot of people - (malraux) - (3)
                                 Not Welsh, I'll bet :-D -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                     You'd lose that bet. - (malraux) - (1)
                                         Well that's incomprehensible - (drook)
             language tokens &c - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 Oh, they don't need thought or planning to be dangerous. - (malraux) - (3)
                     best description of ITIL I have seen yet - (boxley) - (2)
                         😂 -NT - (malraux)
                         Then ISO 9000 to thoroughly document the impersonation -NT - (drook)

You just don't see sideburns like that anymore!
44 ms