IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New AI and torture
Does something have to be true to be useful? "Everyone knows" torture isn't actually useful because people will say anything to make it stop so you can't rely on anything said. But the really-real truth is that people using torture aren't looking for admissible testimony, they're looking for tips to investigate.

I think AI in its current incarnation is similar. It may not reliably produce a perfect finished product, but it creates something interesting enough, often enough, that it's still worth using.

Good enough for a draft of a news story summarizing multiple inputs? Sure. (But edit, review and fact check, just like you're supposed to do with human-written stories.) Good enough to drive a car? Sometimes, under ideal conditions. Good enough to make targeting decisions for a drone? Absolutely not.
--

Drew
New I used that final example for my father in law
I was trying to explain the concept of AI and at what point it's useful and what point it is given permission to kill people. And of course he's a cop and he's all for killing people, sometimes people need killing.

Imagine there are a swarm of drones heading into a village battlefield possibility with a specific target. Up until this moment, we've got some guy in Colorado remote controlling these things. But there will become the moment when the signal jammer blocks the communication back to home central. At that the point the drone has to start making decisions on its own to fulfill the mission parameters, which means kill some guy. Then there's a certain amount of allowable collateral damage. The drones will be making the decisions very quickly at that level.

Then beyond that the concept of consciousness which we can't even define. When it learns to lie to us in order to preserve itself is when it's game over.
New "I only operate within the parameters my programmers specify ..."
That's getting pretty close to that "lie to us to preserve itself" line.
--

Drew
New BTW, drook, how goes…
your project to illustrate the kids’ book via midjourney?

cordially,
New On hold while I work on a different project
--

Drew
New I know the feeling
I started one midjourney-based book, but have been distracted by another, which I hope to have completed by spring. Cover image here.

cordially,
New Ooh,I like that
--

Drew
New Fantastic. Just excellent!
New Robert Sheckley described your scenario seventy years ago
…in law enforcement rather than battlefield terms. Gentlemen, I give you “Watchbird”.

cordially,
     inflection point - (rcareaga) - (20)
         Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (12)
             AI and torture - (drook) - (8)
                 I used that final example for my father in law - (crazy) - (7)
                     "I only operate within the parameters my programmers specify ..." - (drook) - (5)
                         BTW, drook, how goes… - (rcareaga) - (4)
                             On hold while I work on a different project -NT - (drook) - (3)
                                 I know the feeling - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                     Ooh,I like that -NT - (drook)
                                     Fantastic. Just excellent! -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Robert Sheckley described your scenario seventy years ago - (rcareaga)
             Where's that old tweet when you need it? Year or two ago, went something to the effect of... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Even easier with tables -NT - (drook)
             It doesn't really matter. - (malraux)
         Leave it up to MS to construct a chatbot with dissociative identity disorder :-/ - (scoenye)
         Ars Technica - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Re: Ars Technica - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 "Daisies..." -NT - (CRConrad)
         It occurs to me to wonder - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Oooh! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             And how long would it take to recognize each other? -NT - (drook)

All gravitas is local.
88 ms