Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Merry Christmas!
--

Drew
New Re: Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all of you!
It's been a while since I've contributed here. I've been lurking to see how the regulars are doing.
Have a great New Year!
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Good to see you, and everyone.
Here's to a good holiday season for everyone, and a happy New Year.

Cheers,
Scott.
New And a happy birthday to you! (just a couple dayus before Christmas)
Are you still working or have you retired?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thank you!
I got retired at the end of June 2020. It seems to have stuck. I'm not convinced I like it. I just started trying to learn Spanish to keep my mind going. I don't think I'll be going back to work.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New All right!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Learn to enjoy it
Find a brain dead hobby like woodworking. Something to keep you going without thinking too hard while you work with your hands and get a feeling of accomplishment.

I haven't programmed in years. I enjoy being stupid.

Figure out what your attention span is. Mine is about 12 minutes. When I'm flipping YouTube videos I usually will settle on something from 10 to 15 minutes. If it doesn't hook me in the first 30 seconds though I bounce. I can kill a whole day doing that. And it's okay.
New Double post
Find a brain dead hobby like woodworking. Something to keep you going without thinking too hard while you work with your hands and get a feeling of accomplishment.

I haven't programmed in years. I enjoy being stupid.

Figure out what your attention span is. Mine is about 12 minutes. When I'm flipping YouTube videos I usually will settle on something from 10 to 15 minutes. If it doesn't hook me in the first 30 seconds though I bounce. I can kill a whole day doing that. And it's okay.
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 28, 2022, 05:41:33 AM EST
New A delightful Sol Invictus to all of you
Triumph of the Sun over Darkness is indeed a time for celebration!
New Belated, but heartfelt: Thanks, and same to everyone!
New And I would typically echo that
But how merry was it for you? How's the weather there?

It snowed 2 in here and then melted the next day. We've been averaging 40 to 55. The railings are up on the swim spa so it's safe going in and out. The electricity has been supplied to the sauna as well as the media shed so that's moving along. Yes my guy pops in on Christmas to do a few hours of work. I don't demand but I definitely pushed for the railings since M's father will be here in a few days for the next two months and it has to be safe.

Not that the date matters to me. But it's always interesting to see how the rest of the world lives through the season.

When I was a kid, my mother made the news. It was one of those feel-good segments. She was volunteering at a hospital doing some clerical work so a Christian hospital worker could go home and spend the time with their family.

Christmas to me simply meant going to our standard Chinese restaurant across the town and having about 15 people on a big table, ordering everything and sharing it.

You might have actually been there. Chinatower next to Loehmann's in Pennsauken. Not on Christmas of course, but we were there about once a month from 69 to 77.

Of course Christmas as a kid meant parents lying to their children and it was my job to show them that Santa wasn't real. Yes, I was that a******. In kindergarten.

M worked both the eve and the day. I sous vide some lamb for her to come home to. No tree here. She mentioned she might have wanted one but didn't put the effort to bring it in and setting it up. I'm certainly not doing that.
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 27, 2022, 11:44:56 AM EST
New had a 18" plastic tree for 20 years or so. easier on and off
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Thing #1's boyfriend was supposed to be here 5 pm Christmas Eve
His flight was delayed, then delayed, then delayed, then I took a nap and set the alarm for 2 am, then I checked the status before driving and it was cancelled.

He's here now and things are good, but some year I'll sleep on Christmas Eve.
--

Drew
New Open question
Were you ever at chinatower in pennsauken next to lohman's? I seem to recall Phyllis Diller doing a 5-minute segment on the lowman's dressing rooms. I spent a lot of time in them waiting for my mom when I was a little kid.
New Eww, no, why would we go to Jersey?
Truth though, my mother hated shopping, so we always went to whatever was closest.
--

Drew
New Overall, not too bad in the Northeast
A day of drenching rain followed by blizzard conditions. We lost power for ~30 hours, but the crews are still busy restoring service around us. Nothing like what hit Buffalo, though.
New The temperature low at home here in South Carolina was 9 degrees F.
No snow.

The low in my years in upstate NY was -22 degrees F. I think Watertown, NY was -40 F at that time. That's just West of where you live now.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New SC at 9°? Holy s***
When I moved to Washington thought I was moving to the cold north. It's definitely the long dark. I thought I was going to freeze. But M wanted to live here and I'm easy.

And it ends up I'm in a tropical paradise compared to the rest of the country during the winter. But it's also the perfect cool spot during the summer. I lucked out.
New Sometime in the winter of 92/93
One day hit -37 F in Middlesex and -43 F near Johnson, where I was driving to. My car was an old Subaru DL with a heater that could either keep the windshield clear, or my hands warm. I figured seeing the road was rather important, so the windshield it was.

Halfway through, it started snowing inside as my breath condensed against the roof of the car. Fun trip...
New Drove a heatless Dodge for a year in NJ 4 years ago
Ice and slush on the road that I had to take 30 miles two ways each day. For about 3 months. Frozen windshield that I had to get out and scrape off every 5 minutes. Wipers did nothing and high strength ice windshield wiper fluid froze solid.

Good times
     Merry Christmas! -NT - (drook) - (19)
         Re: Merry Christmas! - (hnick) - (6)
             Good to see you, and everyone. - (Another Scott)
             And a happy birthday to you! (just a couple dayus before Christmas) - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 Thank you! - (hnick) - (3)
                     All right! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     Learn to enjoy it - (crazy)
                     Double post - (crazy)
         A delightful Sol Invictus to all of you - (Andrew Grygus)
         Belated, but heartfelt: Thanks, and same to everyone! -NT - (CRConrad)
         And I would typically echo that - (crazy) - (9)
             had a 18" plastic tree for 20 years or so. easier on and off -NT - (boxley)
             Thing #1's boyfriend was supposed to be here 5 pm Christmas Eve - (drook) - (2)
                 Open question - (crazy) - (1)
                     Eww, no, why would we go to Jersey? - (drook)
             Overall, not too bad in the Northeast - (scoenye) - (4)
                 The temperature low at home here in South Carolina was 9 degrees F. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     SC at 9°? Holy s*** - (crazy)
                     Sometime in the winter of 92/93 - (scoenye) - (1)
                         Drove a heatless Dodge for a year in NJ 4 years ago - (crazy)

Certainly mighty proud to say, I'm always mighty proud to say it.
77 ms