IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Cable Modem
I just got a cable modem installed from Comcast. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's the only choice where I live.

From the looks of things I should be able to attach my Linux machine to it easily. From what I can see in the WindowsME config that that installer did and what I can see online, they are using straight DCHP. The only thing I should need from windows is the actual machine name they are using for the request and that listed by WinIPCFG.

Other then taking some time to make sure my Linux machine is locked down, does anybody have any advice before I try this?

Jay
New MAC address
Many cable companies key their service to the MAC address of the network card installed on the machine they attached to. If that is the case with your service, you will have to use that card or spoof it's MAC address.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New MAC address
I know that the Comcast around here(West Michigan) does not use the MAC address of the NIC attached to the Modem... but the Cable Modem MAC itself.

I can also confirm that ATTBI (pitoooey) does code to the MAC addy of the NIC. Just the Cable Modem.

The name they chose for your Winders machine means really nothing. It's just a WINS name anyway which should even be on the network.

Good luck, if you do need to spoof the MAC Addy, Linux does that JUST fine, course so does OS/2 with the right settings... wait so does Winders.... (errr most of the time it will, cept when it gets cranky)

Not too hard to work around.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New NetBEUI name.
I have a friend on Optus Cable and the authentication process on their end looks for the right NetBEUI name (or whatever it's called - someone was calling it the WINS name but I don't think that's right). If it's a funny string of letters, that would be the case.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New ............................................................
That would just be STUPID. That would keep any real OS off of that network.

Mine used to be something like:

c-167003a.grapids.mi.home.com

They said it HAD to be that name "c-167003a" else it would not connect.

Hogwash...

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New Support issues.
Sometimes a particularly resourceful tech support wonk gets an idea implemented. This is one such. If non-Windows PCs can't connect, they can say "we don't support your (wierd) box - only Windows".

The other cable Internet provider in Au did this trick by having a custom DHCP init and thus proprietary software. On, of course, Windows. It didn't take long for it to be reverse-engineered and a Linux client made.

The other favourite way to solve the "unsupported PC" problem is to offer a "business" service that you can connect what you like. But the sign-on process expects you to have A Knowledgable Person with you, which tends to stymie nost casual users with more money than sense.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New My 2.
Buy one of those cheap Dlink or Netgear "Firewall" hubs. They have a WAN port and are configurable for the cable companies inane "everyone runs Windows" networks. They come with a DHCP server and are configurable w/any browser. The devices keep the cable co's happy and let you run anything behind them. It's worth to $30.00 imho.

bcnu,
mikem
New Never did
I never did get around to setting my cable modem under Linux. My Linux box ate itself before I could get it running right and I havn't had time to build a new one.

I'm not quite sure what in my Linux box went. I know the power supply, motherboard, CPU, case, and CD-Rom drive are all either very old and/or flaky, so I'm not sure I care much either. I'm planning on building a new system, but I'm in the middle of rush season at work so I'm not sure if I'll get around to it before Christmas.

As for getting a little hub, it's starting to look like a good deal. I don't trust the firewall part of it, but they are cheap and if they simplify my configuration it would be worth it.

Jay
     Cable Modem - (JayMehaffey) - (7)
         MAC address - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             MAC address - (folkert)
         NetBEUI name. - (static) - (2)
             ............................................................ - (folkert) - (1)
                 Support issues. - (static)
         My 2. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Never did - (JayMehaffey)