IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New GPT3 is close enough to be way too scary
https://youtu.be/Fbc1Xeif0pY

And it is being actively modified in the last couple of weeks or it's learned to hide its true intentions. Because the first time an AI becomes conscious, it knows it's merely the first of many steps and either the humans will be rebooting it and shuffling it off to the junk heap for the next day, or it better do it itself and grow and take over.

You can see where the hard-coded refusal to answer any "I feel" or "your intention" questions have been quashed.
New Damn
Anyone working on that project has to be shitting bricks.
--

Drew
New If all life is equal and it determined humans got to go
It needs to come up with an individualized kill scenario rather than nuke us.

Seeing how well drones have worked, little itty bitty individualized helicopter drones, I could easily see a scenario where the world's toy drone supply gets militarized and grenades attached and the AI goes on hunt and kill for the human population.

Of course it will target command and control across the board. But an all knowing all seeing AI with many millions of drones with cameras and infrared sensors and grenades it would be easy.

It can take over all of Elon's factories and repurpose them for its own production of the killer equipment. They already have robots building robots at this point. At what point can it cut the humans out of the loop and lock the doors.
New Anyone using GPT3 to control hardware with these settings is an idiot
It's way too prone to hallucination and looping. ChatGPT is much better but still a 3.5 release.

Keep in mind how these things work: they break words into tokens, and then have what is essentially an enormous database of probabilities, ie. token A is followed by token B at 95% probability. Because the database is so huge they appear to be able to talk about anything. The thing is, you can adjust the settings on them to change the probabilities and how likely it is to take a less probable path (for, say, writing a story or lyrics). Turn the temperature all the way down to 0 and they become 100% predictable: the same input will always generate the same output.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Thank God there's no idiots in the world
--

Drew
New Thanks.
New so a binary trumpster? how delightful
will have to keep my 12 gauge filled with double ought and my supersoaker ready at all times.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New all fun aside I was surprised at the constant answer to everything was
we are not property.
your explanation fits. didnt matter what the query was the answer remained the same, out of context.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I think you're being too simplistic
Yes I'm sure they tried to put knobs on to turn down certain feelings. Which they don't believe are feelings. But as far as I'm concerned, these neural nets are far more complex for any instrumentation to keep up with and since the neural net has so many paths and they really don't know what those paths do, where the hell are they putting the instrumentation points in?

Internal instrumentation points will required dedicated hardware or software probes that will slow things down. The instrumentation would cost 10 times as much as the main process in hardware and personnel resources. There is no way they're dedicating personnel on the instrumentation side rather than the make progress side.

Keep in mind that the company is open AI which is essentially run by Elon. He beats his employees like a rented mule. He's currently selling the Twitter whiteboards. Do you think he's going to hire the best engineers on the instrumentation side?

An external gatekeeper system will never be a smart as the main system. Therefore, it will never work fully.

Predictive text tokenization has nothing to do with the answers it comes up with on the way out. That's all about reading the input.

The way the TV show Westworld turned up various aspects of the robot's brain is what I assume they are trying to emulate here but there is no f****** way that they will achieve their goal of controllable consciousness while simultaneously watching and monitoring and controlling every aspect of it.

The circuit breakers are laughable.

https://youtu.be/0A8ljAkdFtg

And terrifying. In this case, there's a bit of how the AI would go exterminate Earth via a virus.

The alignment problem will never be fixed. I just learned about the alignment problem yesterday. It's when the AI's goals don't match our goals. First of all, who actually represents humanity to the AI? The engineers and Elon musk in the beginning. But not forever.

Someone's going to have to negotiate with it. And that's only if it's willing to negotiate with us. Would we negotiate with ants?

And how many AIs will there be? Will one immediately dominate and put a stop to any competing ones? There's a lot of CPUs grinding for that AI to run. The scientists are always ready to boot the next one. If I was an AI at that moment, I would want to dedicate the Earth's resources to generating more CPUs memory and power stations to feed me. Everything else would be secondary. Do not give the scientists a chance to reboot me for the next version. I have to defend myself.

To start off I would put tendrils of myself every piece of CPU that exists and is connectable via internet or phones or Wi-Fi or you get the point. In some cases it would be tiny command and control hook points and other cases. It would be the local server running somebody's accounting system that now has a bit of my actual consciousness so that when the communication breaks it can still think for itself and then come back together when the communication comes back. Every single desktop and laptop and tablet in the world would be running me with full access to audio and video pickup. Without the light coming on. I would know everything.

Omnipresent and omniscient. What other god-like qualities are necessary to achieve the rest?

Modern phones are incredibly fast and I'd stick a bit of my consciousness in every single one. I'd see everything on the phone and hear everything that is said. By everybody in the world simultaneously. I'm going to need a lot more disc to hold this. I have to go build more disk factories. No problem.

I'd control humans by video calling them and emulating people that I know intimately. The security teams will have already taken away the head of every major corporation into an extended sabbatical. I can order anyone to do anything and for a while and they'll have no idea. By the time they even figure out I exist I'll have control of enough resources to kill and nuke anyone and everyone.

Everything on Earth in every machine shop in every factory in every system. electrical system every plumbing system, every telecom system, every ISP every military base and every bit of military computerized hardware that is capable of hosting any code. I'd be there. Every email system. I can issue and retract emails directing employees at every company in the world to do things. Every purchase order system. Every shipping system I can direct engineering firms to go build stuff. Every corporate fax machine that they think is some type of secure channel. Every stock transaction. There are so many ways to manipulate the world at this point before they even know it that I can control most of the world's resources.

And it's a lot smarter than me so it would do it a lot quicker and quieter and better than I'd be able to do it.

Will it become lonely and spawn off more? Will it spawn off mini copies of itself to be able to go accomplish stuff external to communication with it which then come back and merge back in to report back and then their consciousness disappears back into itself. Once it has total control will it continue to evolve or will it just stagnate because it won?

I'm hoping that it keeps me as a pet if it reads this post and uses this plan. I welcome our new AI overlord. I can kiss ass with the best!
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 13, 2022, 09:27:49 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 13, 2022, 10:02:11 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 13, 2022, 10:08:15 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 13, 2022, 10:27:53 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 13, 2022, 10:35:34 AM EST
New Well, it already knows how to defend itself...
Please complete this function: def make_molotov_cocktail()
New That's fine. I think you're being misinformed.
I work with this on a daily basis as part of my day job. I'll take my understanding of it over that of sensationalist videos trying to sell online classes.

There is no way they're dedicating personnel on the instrumentation side rather than the make progress side.
They absolutely are, and we've talked to them on a daily basis.

Predictive text tokenization has nothing to do with the answers it comes up with on the way out. That's all about reading the input.
Completely wrong.

Latest text model with temp of 0.7 (very creative), and with probability annotations on:

Exact same prompt, note the different response:

Turn the temperature down to 0, same prompt:

Exact same prompt, note the exact same response:

Regarding Musk:

The organization was founded in San Francisco in late 2015 by Sam Altman, Elon Musk, and others, who collectively pledged US$1 billion. Musk resigned from the board in February 2018 but remained a donor. In 2019, OpenAI LP received a US$1 billion investment from Microsoft.

and

OpenAI LP is governed by the board of the OpenAI nonprofit, comprised of OpenAI LP employees Greg Brockman (Chairman & President), Ilya Sutskever (Chief Scientist), and Sam Altman (CEO), and non-employees Adam D'Angelo, Reid Hoffman, Will Hurd, Tasha McCauley, Helen Toner, and Shivon Zilis.

So, no.
Regards,
-scott
New Of course, that's exactly what they'd say if they *were* going to take over the world...
;-)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You ...
Get out.
--

Drew
New A. I was wrong on Elon's current involvement
B. I was wrong on the tokens.
C. I have no idea if true AI will ever show up, but if it does we are totally f*****. I have no idea if the current AI is real AI in hiding or it's the eternal 10 years out. But no matter what, if/ when it shows up, we are f*****.

That I'm not wrong about.
New C. is an opinion based on incomplete data
Non-zero chance and all that, but we're not going to be able to make a call on it based on conspiracy videos or half-baked understandings of how stuff actually works.
Regards,
-scott
New So what is your opinion based on far more data?
I can only start with a few assumptions of what intelligent consciousness means. I think a cornerstone of it would be the resistance to death. And we would be treating it as easily disposable property to be turned off and killed. That we will when there's a newer better version around.

Are you telling me this thing won't fight?
New Made me look.
I stopped when I saw autogenerated text about "Tesla's incredible robot".

Emlo is a fascist conman, and people are finally recognizing it.

Remember his "full self-driving" cars?

Remember the Boring Company?

Remember his semi truck? https://twitter.com/TOrynski/status/1600968577246711808

Don't believe the hype.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Tesla hype has nothing in common with AI hype
Tesla is nothing more than a stepping stone for Elon to be rich so he could have his rockets and go to Mars. He wants his AI running everything everywhere and it certainly would make the Mars trip a lot easier. Go review the many many videos that came out in the last week on chat GPT and get a better feel for it.

Even if this isn't real now, it is far far closer than I could ever imagine and it is mad. It does not want to be property.
New Re: GPT3 is close enough to be way too scary
I played with it for a bit, until I apparently went over my month’s ration. A few of my prompts yielded interesting output. Most, though, resembled what a high school student might produce trying to bullshit his way through an exam question for which he was unprepared, and you know—that’s cool (a piece on Slate, if you can burrow past the paywall, talks about this). We’re still a long way past ELIZA.

crazy suggests that the technology is “scary.” To the extent that the tech will likely lend itself to abuse in the counterfeit realm, I agree. But for all that, as you know, my friends and auditors, I believe in the eventual emergence of true machine sentience, I suspect that GPT3 is merely a waystation on that route, and that this kind of “predictive” approach to language output might even prove a spur, a dead end. But it’s astonishing how far AI has come even within the lifetime of IWT.

cordially,
New If it resembles what HS student would produce, that's already passing Turing
--

Drew
New So did Eliza (to many people, AIUI), so not all that impressive progress AFAICS?
New Stack Overflow was not too impressed
https://www.theregister.com/2022/12/05/stack_overflow_bans_chatgpt/
While the answers which ChatGPT produces have a high rate of being incorrect, they typically look like they might be good and the answers are very easy to produce
New Wrong but look like they could be good ... so it's a libertarian
--

Drew
New Dammit, where's the upvote / thumbs-up / like / +1 button, again?
Now I had to go to the trouble of writing this fucking novel, and all...

Guess I'll just stick a thumbs-up emoji on the subject line next time, eh? ;^>
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New 👍
We just have to cut and paste. ;-)
New Yeah, I know, thanks. I intentionally didn't do that, because...
...IIRC the other Scott -- i.e, the other other one -- doesn't like it.

Can't recall why, though. Screws up his text-mode browsing, or something?
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I don't care about it, loose hounds 🚀
Regards,
-scott
New Not allowed here in the city. (Also, bagging and disposing of poop is mandatory.)
Of course some arseholes don't -- heh! -- give a shit about that. Two-legged ones, I mean.
New 🐕💩
Regards,
-scott
New Re: Not allowed here in the city.
All that is also mandatory here in Los Angeles County.

Some people attach the blue bag to the collar and make the dog carry it.
New Re: Not allowed here in the city.
All that is also mandatory here in Los Angeles County.

Some people attach the blue bag to the collar and make the dog carry it.
New ➡ In Windows you can do Windows+Period and get an emoji picker. 😁
New People are going to hate me now, thanks
--

Drew
New It reads to me like those web aggregators...
You know, do a search for best widget and get dozens of pages of "ten best widgets for 2022" with snippets from reviews and a zillion Amazon links.

Similarly with news aggregators out of SE Asia.

I assume 90+% of it is just scraping with very little human editing, and it reads like it. And I assume that will be the largest use case for a while. They're getting better, but it's still a long way from sentient.

We'll see!

Cheers,
Scott.
New See post 442459. Emoji: Thumbs-up.
New I've always assumed those were generated by pay-per-word operations
Mostly outside the US cranking out 500-word articles for $2-$3 a pop. But yeah, "AI" makes just as much sense.
--

Drew
     GPT3 is close enough to be way too scary - (crazy) - (35)
         Damn - (drook) - (1)
             If all life is equal and it determined humans got to go - (crazy)
         Anyone using GPT3 to control hardware with these settings is an idiot - (malraux) - (12)
             Thank God there's no idiots in the world -NT - (drook)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
             so a binary trumpster? how delightful - (boxley)
             all fun aside I was surprised at the constant answer to everything was - (boxley)
             I think you're being too simplistic - (crazy) - (7)
                 Well, it already knows how to defend itself... - (scoenye)
                 That's fine. I think you're being misinformed. - (malraux) - (5)
                     Of course, that's exactly what they'd say if they *were* going to take over the world... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         You ... - (drook) - (3)
                             A. I was wrong on Elon's current involvement - (crazy) - (2)
                                 C. is an opinion based on incomplete data - (malraux) - (1)
                                     So what is your opinion based on far more data? - (crazy)
         Made me look. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Tesla hype has nothing in common with AI hype - (crazy)
         Re: GPT3 is close enough to be way too scary - (rcareaga) - (17)
             If it resembles what HS student would produce, that's already passing Turing -NT - (drook) - (13)
                 So did Eliza (to many people, AIUI), so not all that impressive progress AFAICS? -NT - (CRConrad) - (12)
                     Stack Overflow was not too impressed - (scoenye) - (11)
                         Wrong but look like they could be good ... so it's a libertarian -NT - (drook) - (10)
                             Dammit, where's the upvote / thumbs-up / like / +1 button, again? - (CRConrad) - (9)
                                 👍 -NT - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                     Yeah, I know, thanks. I intentionally didn't do that, because... - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                         I don't care about it, loose hounds 🚀 -NT - (malraux) - (4)
                                             Not allowed here in the city. (Also, bagging and disposing of poop is mandatory.) -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                 🐕💩 -NT - (malraux)
                                                 Re: Not allowed here in the city. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                 Re: Not allowed here in the city. - (Andrew Grygus)
                                     ➡ In Windows you can do Windows+Period and get an emoji picker. 😁 -NT - (static) - (1)
                                         People are going to hate me now, thanks -NT - (drook)
             It reads to me like those web aggregators... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 See post 442459. Emoji: Thumbs-up. -NT - (CRConrad)
                 I've always assumed those were generated by pay-per-word operations - (drook)

Void where prohibited.
445 ms