IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So is Dunning-Kruger real?
https://youtu.be/SFvorVFKfeQ

I remember when I was young and I knew everything. No one could tell me anything. Everyone was just so stupid. It was so obvious what the correct answer was and how everybody was wrong all the time. The world was filled with morons and I had to fight all the time.

Then I learned a bit. And I got a realization of the depth of knowledge that I did not have.

I think I was about 25 when I met Ben Tilly. This was the first person I ever met that I respected by default. He never said anything stupid. He often said things that made me think deeply. Every person before this person was a moron. Sure, they might have been accomplished by societal standards, but I could quickly find faults in their logic. Nothing collapses an ego more than meeting a true genius. Most of the people I dealt with still had no f****** clue but there was always someone else that knew more than me.

As a group leader and the departmental manager, I spent years trying to find people smarter than me. I knew I was good but there was always someone better that I could learn from.

Maybe I made the 90%. But I could hire people in the 99s if I just treated them right.

Looking back I can say I built some great teams. I used to say managing programmers was like herding cats. But I love cats. I love the little moment of making the kissing noise and rubbing my fingers together and wondering if that cat will go that quarter inch towards me. Same thing as a programmer. You got to attract them with exactly what they want and be prepared for them to tell you to go f*** yourself. Elon musk is trying to manage programmers right now and he's failing miserably. I know that feeling as well.

As an almost 60-year-old who's a felon who can't have a real job, I get to look back. I'm not competing with the the brilliant children. And I get to smoke a lot of pot and kick back in my hot tub. So I don't have the same crazy competitive attitude I used to. I got to tell you I pity the next generation's of children. We had the dot com run up. We had infinite good possibilities. These poor bastards are dealing with global depression.
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 20, 2022, 10:25:05 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 20, 2022, 10:31:29 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 20, 2022, 10:36:55 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 20, 2022, 10:42:49 AM EST
New Well I must agree about Ben Tilly.
I remember reading his posts when the predecessor of this group was on InfoWorld.Com in the late 1990s. Bright and well expressed ideas.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Good old. I remember when
Hey you kids, get off my lawn!

I was in my mid-20s and I kicked off a notification to him that I was going to be traveling to New York from Cherry Hill, New Jersey and I had a few hours to kill and would he like to join me. I was going to an Oracle user group. I was taking the train in.

He met me at his office. He was in a slightly panicky frame of mind. It seems that he made the mistake of giving too much to some public user group and he exposed corporate secrets. So he was in the midst of negotiating his exit from the current company cuz they were really pissed off at him. I love the fact that his status on the perl website was that he was a saint. He had answered enough questions that everyone who has interacted with him voted him up and internally that meant he was a saint. Good old saint Ben.

At that moment I got a phone call about a problem employee. I was trying to fire him but it was next impossible. Ben told me that A's want to work with A's and B's want to work with C's and that's why you have a C employee and you have to hand them off to the B's. We had the B team so I know exactly what to do.

Everything was easy and succinct when I dealt with Ben. He could dive to the center of the subject matter and slice out the b*******.
New Well, Dunning-Krugerrands are popular with some if nothing else
New Ben still posts somewhat actively elsewhere.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     So is Dunning-Kruger real? - (crazy) - (5)
         Well I must agree about Ben Tilly. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Good old. I remember when - (crazy)
         Well, Dunning-Krugerrands are popular with some if nothing else -NT - (scoenye)
         No - (drook)
         Ben still posts somewhat actively elsewhere. - (CRConrad)