IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One night I chewed up $100,000 worth of computer time.
Silly me. I asked for a report from the main framer. I really only needed three numbers. It was his job to provide me with a CD-ROM and then it was my job to integrate that CD-ROM with live data in the interface from the third party company that they then handed me the source code to play with.

What I didn't realize was that the numbers I asked for required him to write a program and run a program that took the mainframe down to its knees for about 12 hours. And then they printed out a half a dozen boxes of paper and it showed up on a hand truck the next day.

We rented time on that mainframe. We had an all-you-can-eat contract because we were expected to use almost nothing. But that night used our entire year's allocation. That came up on contract negotiations.
New I got in trouble with the IBM tape librarian once.
The Tandem system was generating a tape of performance data about every day, and they wanted it loaded in the IBM mainframe. Somehow I became the gopher who would take the tape up to the console room even though I didn't do much on either box.

I got behind at one point and had quite a few tapes to bring up at one day. That's when the tape librarian pointed out that each of these tapes were taking up permanent space that he didn't have. I wasn't generating or even using the data (I never even knew who was!) but I'd become the fall guy.

Fortunately, I'd enlisted one of the Tandem sysadmins to help carry up these tapes and he got the message that this was just not going to work. I had no more tapes to carry up after that.

Wade.
     He may be an a****** but I would have worked with him - (crazy) - (4)
         I had a guy who handed me my code and claimed it was his during a code review - (crazy) - (3)
             Not the same, but reminds me of a work-study job I had in college. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 One night I chewed up $100,000 worth of computer time. - (crazy) - (1)
                     I got in trouble with the IBM tape librarian once. - (static)

We didn't invent the art of wishful thinking... we just market it locally.
58 ms