IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I had a guy who handed me my code and claimed it was his during a code review
He took one of my many utility scripts and printed it out and put it in his book of code. He claimed it was his code. And then the boss told me to go work with him and learn from him. So he pulled out this book of code to show me and could not explain how the code worked. It was my goddamn code. That mother f***** was claiming my code was his code and couldn't explain to me how it worked. I have been angry many times in my life but this one will live with me forever.

Keep in mind I went into this meeting telling the boss that this guy was a moron and needed to be fired and this boss told me he is right guy who just needs a little help.

And I sat down with the slack jaw idiot. And the slack jaw idiot could paint a pretty screen in cold fusion but couldn't do any back end logic whatsoever. His back end logic was nothing more than a series of scripts that I had already written and he printed them out as if they were his own and could not explain how they worked. They were my goddamn scripts. It was all my work. And the boss told me I should be learning from him. Furious is an understatement.

And the boss told me to calm down. That mother f*****. I'm still fuming from this 20 years later.

So let's delve a little bit deeper into The script he printed out. FTP.pl. Upload. Download. Simple FTP script to start off with. But it interacted with the mainframe. It issued JCL commands. It delved in controlling whether or not our multimillion dollar mainframe would do what I told it or would cost a few hundred thousand for a few minutes and bad things would happen. The script was only a couple hundred of lines but it pulled in lots of libraries and it did lots of fun stuff. I was quite proud of this script. After being the Unix guy at a mainframe company for about 5 years, this particular script was the core glue that allowed everything to happen. And that asshole claimed it as his own.

I crashed the mainframe with this script in the early days. It turns out that every time a process runs on the mainframe it creates a process ID. That's quite reasonable, But if you don't "collect" this process ID with a specific command, the mainframe keeps it forever. And if you run a script every 30 seconds in about a day and a half you actually run out of process IDs on the mainframe. They will wrap back to the beginning and try but sooner or later there will be nothing left. And at that point the mainframe will crash. Yes, I've crashed the mainframe.
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 17, 2022, 07:57:53 PM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 17, 2022, 08:17:18 PM EST
New Not the same, but reminds me of a work-study job I had in college.
I collected and plotted quarterly economics data for a professor who worked on the "index of leading economic indicators" in the business school. Lots and lots of time series data that get revised every quarter. So a typical plot would be an x-axis of years from 1960 to 1980 and the y-axis would be percentages, and the graph should fit on a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper (but the plotter was huge and use large rolls of paper).

I did the key-punching and submitted the CalComp flatbed plotter job to the batch window at the computer center. Quite a few times early on, there would be some error and I would not get any output, just a note that the job had an error and they had to kill it. I'd go back and check the job and try to figure out what was wrong and submit it again, and a few hours later check and find that it was killed again.

I eventually talked to the person who ran the plotter and he said when my job would run it would start off fine, then would try to spool out 25+ feet of paper at very negative X-values, plot one point, roll the paper up, plot another point on the proper axes, roll out the paper again, etc.

The plotter programming language was such that one had to map the data points to the points on the paper, and I was telling it that some of my data had x of 1960 and some of it had x of 3...

Yeah, back in those days, computers did what you told them to and didn't clean up after themselves or ask "do you really want to do this??".

:-)

Thanks for the story. Don't let it bug you too much, though. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New One night I chewed up $100,000 worth of computer time.
Silly me. I asked for a report from the main framer. I really only needed three numbers. It was his job to provide me with a CD-ROM and then it was my job to integrate that CD-ROM with live data in the interface from the third party company that they then handed me the source code to play with.

What I didn't realize was that the numbers I asked for required him to write a program and run a program that took the mainframe down to its knees for about 12 hours. And then they printed out a half a dozen boxes of paper and it showed up on a hand truck the next day.

We rented time on that mainframe. We had an all-you-can-eat contract because we were expected to use almost nothing. But that night used our entire year's allocation. That came up on contract negotiations.
New I got in trouble with the IBM tape librarian once.
The Tandem system was generating a tape of performance data about every day, and they wanted it loaded in the IBM mainframe. Somehow I became the gopher who would take the tape up to the console room even though I didn't do much on either box.

I got behind at one point and had quite a few tapes to bring up at one day. That's when the tape librarian pointed out that each of these tapes were taking up permanent space that he didn't have. I wasn't generating or even using the data (I never even knew who was!) but I'd become the fall guy.

Fortunately, I'd enlisted one of the Tandem sysadmins to help carry up these tapes and he got the message that this was just not going to work. I had no more tapes to carry up after that.

Wade.
     He may be an a****** but I would have worked with him - (crazy) - (4)
         I had a guy who handed me my code and claimed it was his during a code review - (crazy) - (3)
             Not the same, but reminds me of a work-study job I had in college. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 One night I chewed up $100,000 worth of computer time. - (crazy) - (1)
                     I got in trouble with the IBM tape librarian once. - (static)

You entered famous last wordsburg territory thinking along that line.
74 ms