IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Annals of non-oncology
My dear mother-in-law, Inga, had been feeling a bit low pretty much all summer, perhaps beginning in spring this year: A "flu" that kept recurring, pains in her shoulders and lower back, lack of appetite, general tiredness and exhaustion. She was put on a couple of anti-biotic treatments; the back pains where attributed to arthritis or trouble with the ischias nerve (="schiatica"?). Towards the end of summer, she could only walk with a walker. Anki -- my wife, Inga's daughter -- helped her schedule visits at the clinic, took her to non-scheduled visits at the emergency clinic, and even called an ambulance once or twice. Nothing real was ever found; "Here's a prescription for ibuprofen, take two of them three times a day for the pain".

On Sunday, October 16, Inga was in so bad shape that I drove her (and Anki) to the emergency clinic. (And dumped them there; my next drive was taking our son Max to a football game and doing duty as a physio. They won, IIRC.) After six hours waiting, total, with interruptions for blood samples and X-rays and stuff, they got to see a doctor who promptly admitted Inga as an in-patient at the hospital. When Anki finally got home in the evening, she reported that Inga had been fitted with an intravenous antibiotic right away. She also told me she and Inga didn't quite get the doctor's reaction: He (I think, might have been a she) had looked worried, apparently about how they would take this, but they were both only relieved -- "Great that this will finally be fixed!"...

The next day, Monday 17, Anki was informed that Inga had been moved to the big university hospital closer to the city centre -- to the cancer ward.

What she had wasn't a flu that wouldn't go away, or arthritis, but cancer of the lungs. By the time it was diagnosed (which in retrospect explains the emergency clinic doctor's behaviour, and probable surprise at Inga's and Anki's reaction), it had spread throughout her shoulders, neck, and lower back. She got radiation treatments -- five sessions, according to Anki -- and I think chemotherapy too, in between. After about a week, the staff began making arrangements to transfer her to another hospital. As Inga and Anki understood it, this was to free up beds for more urgent cases at the oncology clinic, while Inga recuperated from treatments and would be back for more later. Inga disliked their first suggestion, a place where her husband Pertti had been a few years before, and which she felt wasn't of as good a standard as perhaps it ought to be. There was some talk of another, smaller hospital closer by, where Pertti had also been for a while, but that apparently came to nothing.

On Wednesday, October 26, she was moved again: To a hospice.

Funnily -- so sad it's funny -- at least Anki still thought this was just because that's where there happened to be beds free, and that Inga would be back to the oncology ward for treatments that would, if not cure her, at least give her some more time. After a while, it dawned on us that that was not what this was about. We tried to spend as much time with her as possible (6 hrs 47 min on Sunday, according to my Google Maps timeline), but toward the end she slept a lot thanks to soporific drugs (and was probably pretty strung out on morphine).

On Monday, October 31, Inga Aho (neé Nygren, ex Riska) passed away. She would have been eighty in May next year.

She is survived by her husband Pertti Aho; her daughter Helen Ann-Christin ("Anki") Riska-Conrad; her grandsons Mathias Mustonen and Max Conrad; her
sisters Carita and Ulla and her brothers Klaus, Paul, and Stig, and their various children and grandchildren. The funeral will be in Helsinki on December 10.

Daaaymn, that was quick! :-(
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
Expand Edited by CRConrad Nov. 14, 2022, 09:50:50 AM EST
Expand Edited by CRConrad Nov. 15, 2022, 02:30:46 AM EST
New that was quick, sorry for you loss here there is suggested annual chest xrays after the age of 50
but people forget, I havent had one if 5 years
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New There are risks from chest X-rays as well.
A friend's father had something abnormal show up on a chest X-ray. His doc was very concerned. They ended up doing surgery (he had a huge scar that wrapped around his torso from front to back, and pain from it the rest of his life). They found only scar tissue (apparently from when he had the flu or pneumonia)... :-(

CDC.gov:

Risks of Screening

Lung cancer screening has at least three risks —

* A lung cancer screening test can suggest that a person has lung cancer when no cancer is present. This is called a false-positive result. False-positive results can lead to follow-up tests and surgeries that are not needed and may have more risks.

* A lung cancer screening test can find cases of cancer that may never have caused a problem for the patient. This is called overdiagnosis. Overdiagnosis can lead to treatment that is not needed.

* Radiation from repeated LDCT tests can cause cancer in otherwise healthy people.

That is why lung cancer screening is recommended only for adults who are at high risk for developing the disease because of their smoking history and age, and who do not have a health problem that substantially limits their life expectancy or their ability or willingness to have lung surgery, if needed.

If you are thinking about getting screened, talk to your doctor. If lung cancer screening is right for you, your doctor can refer you to a high-quality screening facility.

The best way to reduce your risk of lung cancer is to not smoke and to avoid secondhand smoke. Lung cancer screening is not a substitute for quitting smoking.

To be clear, that's about screening with "low-dose CT scans", not just a chest X-ray.

A few years ago there were studies saying that many lung cancers were seemingly caused by radon in homes (collecting in basements). I haven't heard much about that in a while - I haven't looked to see if the CDC has other screening recommendations if that is a factor.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New :-(
I'm very sorry CRC.

Condolences to you and Anki and all who loved her. Remember the good times.

Best wishes,
Scott.
New Our condolences to you and your family.
My wife went through about the same with her Mom. 6 weeks between diagnosis and the end.

So sorry to hear :-(
New Sorry you and relatives had to go through such grief.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Sorry to hear that Christian
It's hard to lose someone like that so quickly.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Quick is great
Holy s*** that was a hell of a story. But quick is great. Hopefully that's how I go.
     Annals of non-oncology - (CRConrad) - (7)
         that was quick, sorry for you loss here there is suggested annual chest xrays after the age of 50 - (boxley) - (1)
             There are risks from chest X-rays as well. - (Another Scott)
         :-( - (Another Scott)
         Our condolences to you and your family. - (scoenye)
         Sorry you and relatives had to go through such grief. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Sorry to hear that Christian - (malraux)
         Quick is great - (crazy)

That money came from someplace.
57 ms