IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Holy shit, yeah, that's a lot.
Still, sounds like it's going to get a lot less now that all the building and boat-buying and so on is pretty much done. But yeah, I can see how just the Amazon shopping will be enough for composting etc, so you need to get rid of that pile.

One last thing I'm wondering about: Having Amazon not consolidate but ship every purchase separately, doesn't that make shipping more expensive? Or, you're on that Prime thingy so you don't pay for shipping? Feels a bit weird; if I were them I'd probably make consolidation mandatory for customers who get shipping free, if I could save money hat way... But maybe they wouldn't actually save all that much; maybe the back-and-forth steps you describe cost them about as much as just shipping every package separately, since they already have a system optimised for that.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New They offer discounts to consolidate
If you are willing to delay a day or two or three or a week. When you go to do a final checkout it will attempt to push you for a further delivery date to allow for the consolidation.

The discounts are usually a dollar or two for the entire order. I never take it. I don't want the delay and I don't want pieces of the order lost as they go through the human consolidation process. I tell them to just ship everything individually as they can. Sometimes they will consolidate certain items depending on where they are coming from.

And yes I have that Amazon prime thingy. As far as I'm concerned, the entertainment I get off of prime is worth the 6 bucks a month. The free shipping and prime member discounts are just a bonus. Also, as a prime member, about 20 or 30% of everything I click on adds an additional discount of 5 to 20%. It's worth it just to click into the actual entry rather than trust the initial price because it could always possibly be less.

Yes, the vast majority of my purchases are done. But there will be plenty of cardboard in the future.

I'll be doing the gardening setup in early spring and at that point I will set up 3 ft high steel beds. The first foot and a half will be cardboard and chunks of wood (I've got a pile of fireplace size split logs that could be the base of about a half a dozen beds) and a few rocks and some brown brush and a bunch of leaves. That will take a year or two to break down but that's exactly what I want. That will give me a decent aerated drainage area while the wood rots. The top foot and a half will be decent dirt.

Edit: actually this pile of logs could be the base for 20 3 x 8 beds. I don't want beds wider than that so I can always sit in front of one and reach into the center easily and I want pathways between them so I can only fit around 10 of these on my property.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 19, 2022, 09:52:46 AM EDT
     Give me rain. Damn it - (crazy) - (18)
         October 19th the weather will be warmer and wetter. - (a6l6e6x)
         So cardboard isn't recycled where you live; nowhere to take it? -NT - (CRConrad) - (16)
             They've broken recycling in the US - (drook) - (7)
                 We have separate recycling bins for plastic packaging too, but **** knows... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Scientists have found, completely by accident . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Wasn't that some kid's high school science fair project? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             It was discovered by a lady . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 And in most western countries. - (static) - (2)
                     Glass seems to be problematic (and I've contributed to the problem). - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Yeah... "glass is glass"... which it's not. - (static)
             It's not part of my garbage package - (crazy) - (7)
                 Not just compost piles - (drook) - (1)
                     Lasagna gardens, my ass! And spaghetti grows on trees, right?!? - (CRConrad)
                 Yeah, that sounds sucky. Maybe just save it for the gardening? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     Yes, absolutely everything comes in a cardboard box - (drook)
                     In the past 6 months of the burn ban - (crazy) - (2)
                         Holy shit, yeah, that's a lot. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             They offer discounts to consolidate - (crazy)

The universe is 98 percent hydrogen and helium... and I'm rather fond of the other 2 percent.
76 ms