IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They've broken recycling in the US
Back in the 70s we could recycle paper and cardboard by taking it to a container behind the city municipal building. We weren't required to, but for a time when most of us got a daily newspaper it was a simple and obviously good idea.

There were places we could take glass and aluminum, mostly soda bottles and cans, and get paid for them by weight. Because we sorted them by type and color, they could pay us for them and still make money turning it back into raw materials.

But then they stopped making glass bottles and went to plastic. Then everything went to plastic, and we started noticing all the garbage piling up everywhere. The container manufacturers and soda companies didn't want us pointing the finger at them, so they funded an iconic ad campaign to convince people we were the problem.

But we still had all this plastic. So the oil companies convinced us we could recycle plastic. But no one had infrastructure to collect it, so they sold local governments on the idea of "mixed input stream" recycling. Just put it all in one bin and let the recycler (in China) sort it out.

We spent decades shipping our trash overseas, until China decided they didn't want our trash any more. We tried redirecting it to a few other countries, but no one wanted it, or could handle the volume.

Now that we were stuck with it, all the local infrastructure for collecting pre-sorted paper and glass and metal has gone away, and people have gotten used to putting all the "recyclables" in one bin, and we've never been good at separating what's actually recyclable, and plastic recycling has never been financially viable to begin with ... so most of our recycling gets shipped to the same landfills as the regular trash.

But hey, that's not a problem for the oil companies or container manufacturers to deal with. No, that's because consumers are lazy and don't care about the planet.
--

Drew
New We have separate recycling bins for plastic packaging too, but **** knows...
...if maybe their contents end up at the same incineration plant as the "general non-recyclable" garbage. Think I've seen a few (storm in a teacup) "scandals" like that, about various municipalities, pop up in the media over the last decade or so. Specifically about plastics, that is. But all the rest -- glass, metals, paper, cardboard -- seems, judging from the lack of such media hullaballoo, to be working at least tolerably well.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Scientists have found, completely by accident . . .
. . that the saliva of a certain moth lava destroys polyethylene, and does is amazingly quickly. Now if the organic chemists can figure out how to make it in volume, possibly by genetically engineered bacteria or something, it could solve one part of the plastics problem - unless it's found the byproducts of destruction are
highly damaging to the atmosphere.

Of course, one side effect of our current non-recycling (or destroying) of plastics, is they are sequestering a whole lot of carbon that might otherwise be floating around in the atmosphere.
New Wasn't that some kid's high school science fair project?
--

Drew
New It was discovered by a lady . . .
. . who was gathering the moth larva for a project. Don't know if it was her project or otherwise. She gathered them into a polyurethane bag, and when she got it home she noticed it was full of holes. I don't remember if she was a scientist or had plenty of contact with scientists.
New And in most western countries.
Here in the land down under, we also have a what-do-we-do-with-all-our-recycling problem. Particularly glass.

It's well documented that various industries campaigned long and hard many years ago to get rid of paying for recyclable material. And governments rolled over because they wouldn't think far enough ahead.

Wade.
New Glass seems to be problematic (and I've contributed to the problem).
Heard / read somewhere (sorry, can't recall the source) that the kind of glass you can put to be recycled is only jars and bottles, not broken drinking glasses and stuff; the latter can't be re-melted the same way. I suppose it's that "crystal" glass is done at a much higher temperature, so mixing that in means it can't be re-used for jars and bottles. Should have hot the hint from how much thinner than simple containers tableware glass can be, and how much sharper the shards are. I only put jars in there now and save the rest for when I go to the recycling centre, where they have a more fine-grained classification of bins to put stuff in. But of course the glass bin in our building still has table glasses and vases and stuff in it, because most people don't know this.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Yeah... "glass is glass"... which it's not.
People also put stuff like broken Pyrex in "glass recycling" which needs its own special processing.

Wade.
     Give me rain. Damn it - (crazy) - (18)
         October 19th the weather will be warmer and wetter. - (a6l6e6x)
         So cardboard isn't recycled where you live; nowhere to take it? -NT - (CRConrad) - (16)
             They've broken recycling in the US - (drook) - (7)
                 We have separate recycling bins for plastic packaging too, but **** knows... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Scientists have found, completely by accident . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         Wasn't that some kid's high school science fair project? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             It was discovered by a lady . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 And in most western countries. - (static) - (2)
                     Glass seems to be problematic (and I've contributed to the problem). - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Yeah... "glass is glass"... which it's not. - (static)
             It's not part of my garbage package - (crazy) - (7)
                 Not just compost piles - (drook) - (1)
                     Lasagna gardens, my ass! And spaghetti grows on trees, right?!? - (CRConrad)
                 Yeah, that sounds sucky. Maybe just save it for the gardening? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     Yes, absolutely everything comes in a cardboard box - (drook)
                     In the past 6 months of the burn ban - (crazy) - (2)
                         Holy shit, yeah, that's a lot. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             They offer discounts to consolidate - (crazy)