IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IoT connection story and question

(Not sure if you can see this without logging in to the server.)

Is this actually a problem? He turned off WiFi on the phone, but the lock was already / still connected to his WiFi.

It actually makes sense that IoT devices would aggressively try to join available networks via every method possible. Most people - especially those buying IoT devices - aren't networking experts, so "I can't connect" would probably be #1 through #7 highest volume of customer service issues if it didn't magically Just Work.

My guess is the button press on the lock was a WPS connection to the WiFi.
--

Drew
New Insufficient data
Most commercial IoT gadgets operate with a central server. The only thing that would be needed is for both ends to keep their connection to the server alive. A firewall will let the traffic through as it belongs to an established connection.

Schlage's connected locks also seem to have an independent Z-wave radio. That serves to build a mesh network with similarly equipped devices until one has a connection out. The clip doesn't mention it, but the lock may already have been tapped in to the neighbor's Wifi ;-)
New That's the problem
I wouldn't want my lock to automatically connect to anything.
--

Drew
     IoT connection story and question - (drook) - (2)
         Insufficient data - (scoenye) - (1)
             That's the problem - (drook)

Given sufficient thrust, even pigs can fly. You just don't want to be around when they come back down.
62 ms