IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New maybe I dont understand the qustion
https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-podcast-apps-for-linux/
I could always save an mp3 file under linux and copy it anywhere on the planet as long as scp, rsync, nfs or ftp was available.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Are you actually using any of those?
First, most of them I can't even install. But the bigger issue is that everything I've been able to install doesn't actually save as MP3. If I can get an MP3 on my desktop I know how to copy it. The problem is all the players I've used except iTunes save as some proprietary encrypted blob that I can't turn into an MP3.
--

Drew
New vlc used to bw able to do that,
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New vlc wouldn't parse the feed
I suspect companies trying to "own" podcasting keep fucking with feed format details, and OSS tools aren't keeping up with the churn.
--

Drew
New gPodder?
Caveat: I don't listen to podcasts, so this is based on a very brief experiment.

gPodder is in the Debian repository, so it should be available to the derivatives. It produced mp3 formatted files for NPR's MoneyTalk without any special configuration. It does behave similar to Clementine in that it started to grab all available files, but it does have obvious feedback as to what it is doing.

The MoneyTalk podcast is an included demo subscription. I did get it to play ball with CNN's podcasts. The biggest issue there was figuring out what URL to grab (the RSS feed.) That too produced an mp3.
New Hmm, I may be missing some optional libraries then
gPodder, like several others, was unable to parse the feed files and add the subscriptions. Or maybe it was a matter of finding the "right" URL. Clementine is one of only two I had that was able to find podcasts via search, and the only one that successfully found and parsed the feeds.
--

Drew
New gpodder.net search works for me. SoundCloud does appear broken.
SoundCloud returns a 401 error (unauthorized). It looks like they overhauled the API/ditched the free access key. That seems to be the general tendency with popular single point of information sources these days.
New I found one that works for me, I'm done
If there were two or three leading OSS apps,I might spend time sending good bug reports to one of them. When there are over a dozen, and most of them fail in the same way for me ... it's past time for a shakeout in the population of apps.
--

Drew
     Any Linux podcast players that save/export mp3? - (drook) - (9)
         maybe I dont understand the qustion - (boxley) - (7)
             Are you actually using any of those? - (drook) - (6)
                 vlc used to bw able to do that, -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     vlc wouldn't parse the feed - (drook)
                 gPodder? - (scoenye) - (3)
                     Hmm, I may be missing some optional libraries then - (drook) - (2)
                         gpodder.net search works for me. SoundCloud does appear broken. - (scoenye) - (1)
                             I found one that works for me, I'm done - (drook)
         Found one that works - (drook)

It's a wet cheese, left out in the cold.
114 ms