1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New finally hatch chilis are in .99 cents a pound bought 5 lbs
green chili stew tomorrow.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New We don't get those here . . .
. . but we have plenty of the closely related Anaheims, green and red.

Also very important, we have plenty of Red Fresnos, the hot red chili found suitable for their cuisines by just about every ethnicity in Los Angeles / Orange counties (which is most ethnicities). They are hotter than a Jalapeno, but can be easily disarmed so thoroughly they can stand in for no-heat chilis. I am now seeing Fresnos on European lists, so they must be invading there.

We also have plenty of Habeneros, Serranos, Jalapenos, Gueros, Poblanos, Thais (green and red), and long yellows (usually medium hot, sometimes sweet).

In season we also have Rocotos, Italian, Armenian / Turkish, Hungarian, Korean, Indian, Mini Sweets. Long Sweets, and others. And, of course a couple dozen varieties of dried red chilis.

What we don't have is Cubanelles and Aji Dulce, both low and no heat peppers. The reason is that a missing ethnicity here is Caribbean - except for Jamaicans, but Jamaica is Scotch Bonnet / Habanero territory - Jamaicans see no point in low or no heat chilis. The other missing ethnicity we have here is French, but there's no such thing as a French chili.

Another missing one is Piri Piri type super hot Bird Chilis (but I've started growing some). These are becoming scarce in the Philippines and some other regions because the easier to grow and harvest Thai chilis (not as hot) are displacing them.

Of course, I grow some of my own. Most important are the Aji Charapitas, the most expensive Chilis in the world. They are a wild Peruvian Chili thought to be the "mother of all chilis". These chilis are about the size of a dried pea. When I make a 6 cup pot of soup, I crush 5 of them into it. This the amount I like, but most people would rather have 2 or less. Last year my two plants, which share the same pot, produced over 500 chilis. This year it will easily be over 600.

Most of my chili crop for this year is running behind due to a heart attack episode, but the Juanitas (famous in South Africa as Peppadews) are fruiting prolifically. Another plant, fruiting prolifically has small, long, wrinkled fruit which I have forgotten what it is - they are very moderately hot. I will have to go through my saved seed packets to see if I can identify them.

All the rest are very young, but that's not a problem in Los Angeles county, where the last frost was over 30 years ago.

I am now growing mostly South American Genus Baccatum chilis, because, like the Charapitas, they will yield chilis for many years. The common Annuums have a good year and then die.
New the hatch are very similar to anaheim not quite as bland in flavor from new mexico
last peppers I grew were some thai and serrano a number of years ago which I dried and powdered. Still have some left. Will have to try some that you have listed
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     finally hatch chilis are in .99 cents a pound bought 5 lbs - (boxley) - (2)
         We don't get those here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             the hatch are very similar to anaheim not quite as bland in flavor from new mexico - (boxley)

It's not rocket surgery!
89 ms