IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Nakamuchi shockwave
Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2.4 Channel Dolby Atmos/DTS:X Soundbar with Dual 10" Subwoofers (Wireless), 4 Rear Surround Effects Speakers, eARC and SSE Max Technology (2022) https://a.co/d/hoQfLiB

My music list typically starts late '60s and runs into mid '80s with an occasional random pop after that. Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP, Janis Joplin, grateful dead, rolling Stones, led Zeppelin, you get the point.

When I was a kid in the late '70s I got my first real stereo which was a Maranz 35 w stereo plugged into a couple of enormous speakers combined with a turntable and a tape deck. I thought it was nirvana. Not the band, the experience.

I bought new albums when they came out. I sat down and shared them with my friends. We listened and read the liner notes. It did not matter if the singer occasionally mumbled since we had the lyrics right in front of us. We smoked a lot of pot.

I went to a lot of concerts. At least 20 different bands I loved had new albums every year and they were touring and I had choices. Affordable choices.

While I loved the concerts for the experience and the full body rumble of the music, it usually had a bit of echoey blur. We were in a stadium. Of course it couldn't be as good as the album.

This system is the best of both. I am merely sending Bluetooth from my phone to it while waiting for the very long HDMI cable to show up today to plug it into the projector.

So I have my YouTube music playlists and I kick back and experience perfect audible crystal clear separation and instrument positioning along with a full body experience that blows me away.

If you are in the market for this type of system, I heartily recommend it.
Expand Edited by crazy July 13, 2022, 01:47:23 PM EDT
New Damn, dude, we said we were coming. You can stop selling.
--

Drew
New Wait until the projector review
And the 4 ft wide heavy duty outdoor steps to the second floor porch is complete. Just waiting for the guy to come back and do the second spray since even though it's pressure treated and/or outdoor lumber according to code here we need to spray it with something after it's been chiseled or cut into.

Longest project of my life that should have taken 4 days.

After that we drive to the local used junkyard store. Shed after shed of crap, some of which is incredibly useful. They have a door shed. So I have to go there and find a door that will fit my upstairs steps entrance and at that point I bring it back and plane it down, route the hinges, and hang it.

I say we but he's going to do 99% of the work. I'm just there to help position occasionally and learn.
Expand Edited by crazy July 13, 2022, 02:27:17 PM EDT
New Fun projects.
Glad to hear that you're going to pay the man to do the door. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yep, bought the door
120 bucks for a solid wood front entranceway door. It's white. My heat gun does nothing. I can't strip it. I will hang it white. And then I will paint it in place.

My Bosch hand planer will cut it to fit. Heavy duty hinges are ready and my carpenter has his hinge jig at the ready. He just hasn't shown up yet.
New Hinges up
Door stripped and sanded. They'll be back today to finish, maybe. Fixed price, take as long as you want
New Okay, here's the projector review
LG AU810PB 4K UHD Smart Dual Laser CineBeam Projector with CI Controls (Black) https://a.co/d/gAozlB4

First of all, let's get out of the way the fact that it's being thrown to a fabric stretched screen that has a window behind it and this screen does not have any black fabric on the back. I can see through the window behind it. It has blackout curtains so there's a line of light along all the edges.

All of that evaporates when the device is turned on. You have to strain your eyes hard to find that backlight.

The description says dual laser. That's because it handles two of the three colors natively. But then it shines one of those beams through something else that emits another laser light and covers RGB when it's done. So this is a true three laser RGB projection device.

I sat next to the guy who invented DLP chips on a flight from comdex. About 35 years ago. I think he worked for Texas instruments. The flight was from Vegas to Texas. He explained to me how DLP will revolutionize light projection of any sort. And DLP has for many years done just that. But now DLP is used to reflect the lasers as opposed to light beams and it's stunning.

The interface is kind of like my LG TV. The remote is definitely better. Same basic layout but now it glows when I move it and all the buttons are shaped nicely so I can figure it out by feel. The LG remote on the TV is dark and all the buttons feel the same.

The picture is just as good as my LG TV and I have the best. Yes, I splurged. Because I expect this laser projector to go in a different building when I get power to it. But until then it's staying in my living room.

A completely fills the wall with a quality visual experience that is just as good as the TV but better. It's better because of the size and it's better because the screen does not reflect light from the room. No glare. If you use this projector you can have TV quality of any size that could possibly fit your wall with absolutely no glare.

It's quiet. It's about 4 ft behind and above me right now and I almost can't hear it.

It does not care if you have light in the room. This is no longer the concept of different light beams and photons spinning around and activating your eyes the same way and therefore the TV projector gets faded out in a bright light room. Nope. It's just there. It doesn't matter if the room is dark or light. You can adjust all kinds of levels and you can move the projected space up down left right. But the key issue here is it doesn't look like a projector image. And the lights in the room won't glare on the screen if you leave them on.

Downside?

It's a laser. Do not walk into the path of the laser. If your couch and chair are set up in such a manner that when you walk into them, you have to cross the laser beam. Turn your head towards the screen. Drop your head down. Don't take a chance of burning out your eyeballs. I am so damn careful while walking around here when the projector is on. It's dangerous. I will create a drop shield in front of it for when I want to leave it on but run around the room and do stuff.

Sound has been an issue so I haven't posted about it for a bit until I got to what I consider a high level experience. It wants HDMI arc cables. Or at least my sound system does. My sound system as described above. So I waited for the cables to show up but I've got a 35 ft run I want to handle. And HDMI doesn't like that kind of distance. I called up the sound manufacturer and they told me to get a specific cable. Which does not work on default plugin after I fiddle around and I'll have to deal with tech support. But at that point I said screw it and connected to the sound system from the projector via Bluetooth.

This works just fine. The volume key on the projector coordinates with the sound system when connected via Bluetooth. Just like my phone. I doubt very much I will ever be able to tell a supposedly higher quality connection via HDMI versus this Bluetooth connection. But I have the 35 ft fiber cable ready to try next.

So then we kicked back and watched the season finale of The Boys. We've been waiting a week or two for this until I set all this stuff up. I initially said I was kind of wait for it to be dark but it never gets dark until 9:30 here and I already found out dark versus light really doesn't matter. So we kicked back. It was f****** amazing.
New my eyes dont see so good once the price gets higher than $800 or so
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Bs
As far as I'm concerned, I will never go to a theater again. I will never spend $50 to $100 on a day out for a movie. Maybe you don't do that right now so it means nothing to you. But I was very annoyed when COVID limited my ability to go out and I wanted to create an environment that is just as good if not better.
New I was wondering they'd start using lasers.
I believe most consumer projectors out there are still using halogen bulbs. I know mine does. But the lifetime is getting longer; and LED lamps are around now, too. I've heard that some LED projectors are designed so the lamp lasts the life of the projector. That's what I intend to buy when my current projector end-of-lifes (but I'm expecting that to be at least 6 years away).

Lasers in an ultra-short-throw projector would remove a lot of the "don't accidentally look at the lasers" problem.

Wade.
New Short throws suck
When I did my research at least. Someday I'm sure they'll be better. But for now, no.
New Example
We are watching the news via haystack or Amazon prime going to local kiro. 7. They're interviewing some guy who is blonde with blue eyes. M says he's a f****** white walker. I can see multiple levels of sparkly reflections down his eyeballs. He is that large with that amount of detail.
New I will bring my hank sr lp's
and zappa and mott the hoople in case he doesnt have those, and a 12 gauge in case abba shows up
New also where is the neareast major airport? in case I dont want to drive there
New SeaTac
It's 2 hours away. I will pick you up.
New I love my dancing Queen
I actually have an Abba story. But I'll wait.
     Nakamuchi shockwave - (crazy) - (15)
         Damn, dude, we said we were coming. You can stop selling. -NT - (drook) - (14)
             Wait until the projector review - (crazy) - (9)
                 Fun projects. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Yep, bought the door - (crazy) - (1)
                         Hinges up - (crazy)
                 Okay, here's the projector review - (crazy) - (5)
                     my eyes dont see so good once the price gets higher than $800 or so -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Bs - (crazy)
                     I was wondering they'd start using lasers. - (static) - (1)
                         Short throws suck - (crazy)
                     Example - (crazy)
             I will bring my hank sr lp's - (boxley) - (3)
                 also where is the neareast major airport? in case I dont want to drive there -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     SeaTac - (crazy)
                 I love my dancing Queen - (crazy)

You are so wrong philosophers weep at the sound of your voice.
112 ms