IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Spinning wheel brush cutters
This one I burned out after two battery changes. Literally, there was smoke coming out of the engine.

Weed Wacker, Electric Weed Wacker Cordless Trimmer, Retractable and Foldable Home Weed Eater Brush Cutter, Portable Battery Power Rechargeable Handheld Lawn Mower for Lawn, Yard, Garden https://a.co/d/1UJzDvu

So I then ordered this one which claims the serious run time on the actual engine rather than battery run time.

Brushless String Trimmer, Cordless String Trimmer/Edger, Electric Brush Cutter Weed Wacker, Adjustable Edger Trimmer Mini-Mower for Home and Garden https://a.co/d/6dC1ZkA

I've got serious brush. It's a combination of multi-year-old thin bushes that are mostly died off which have blueberry and raspberry and other vines filled with thorns choking it all out. My next door neighbor has a 4-ft wall with stones. The bushes are growing through the goddamn stones and taking over my space. And this is prime growing space. I want this space. I'm going to dig out the roots and till the land and create raised beds. But before I can do any of that I have to fight the brambles.

My stairs guys says that it looks like a perfect weapon to fight off a zombie apocalypse. It isn't. It has no staying power. It's got a high speed spin rate with absolutely no torque behind it. It catches. You have to use it like a weed wacker as you're slamming back and forth the brush.

This s*** will get caught in a zombie shoulder and then the thing will bite my head off.

Chainsaws are the next level up? I think. I actually have an electric one. I haven't plugged in yet and it scares me. I like the spinning blade on the long handle. It gives me decent control but I wish it was a bit more powerful.

I've cleared out about 10 ft wide and 4 ft deep of brush and I have another 200 ft to go. Hopefully I don't have to get a new tool every 10 ft. If I burn out the next one I'll move on to the chainsaw.
New atv length of chain done
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Actually, I might do something like that
I had to haul some rocks up the hill, gravel, to fill in a 2-ft by 4 ft area an inch or 2 deep. I used a wheelbarrow.

Never f****** again. It took me four trips uphill.

So I got one of these:

Landworks Utility Service Cart Wheelbarrow Power Wagon Super Duty Electric 48V DC Li-Ion Battery Powered 500LBS Load & 1000LBS+ Hauling Capacity Farm & Garden Dump w/All Purpose Modular Cargo Bed https://a.co/d/9bUagRT

If I fill it with some weight it will get some traction and I should be able to do this.
New Get/rent a gas powered brush cutter for the 1st pass?
Chainsaws and brush don't always mix well. The chain tends to grab and fling small stuff instead of cutting through it. It is also liable to throw the chain off the bar. Almost invariably, that causes a burr on some of the guide teeth which you'll have to file down before the chain will fit back in the groove.

I'm not an expert chainsaw operator by any standard, but so far, I have been able to keep arms, legs and head attached. That out of the way, the most dangerous part of the saw is the tip's upper quadrant. If it bites in, it will kick the saw up and towards you - always be mindful of where the tip is (and of what is near it.)

Use all the safety gear you can get you're hands on - chainsaw chaps, goggles/face shield, hard hat. steel toe boots. (The brambles may be hiding something hard.)

Chainsaws are right handed tools. If you're left handed, be extra careful of what you're doing.

When cutting from the top (with the bottom chain), the motion pulls the saw into the log - pretty safe. When cutting from underneath, the chain will push the saw towards you (and that upper quadrant towards the danger area...)

Lock your left elbow when cutting. If it does kick, the saw will rotate around your wrist and engage the chain brake (on a gas powered saw, that is.)

Keep your body out of the plane of the cut. Better chance it'll miss your head if it kicks back.

Most saws these days leave the shop with a safety chain. These have links with depth gauges between the cutting links to limit the bite when the chain rounds the tip. If yours left the internet with a non-safety chain, consider replacing it.

Keep the cutters sharp. It's safer to operate if it works properly.

http://www.tcia.org/TCIA/Publications/TCI_Magazine/HTMLpages/October2016/Chain_Saw_Safety__Understanding_Rotational_Kickback.aspx
Expand Edited by scoenye June 29, 2022, 10:55:34 PM EDT
New Nah, way too much effort and danger.
I will never keep a chainsaw maintained. Therefore, it will kill me. And I am left-handed. Clumsily left-handed.

I'll stick with spinning blades at a slight distance. Or boxley's idea of yanking them down with a vehicle.

Actually no, damn it. Those bushes are embedded in my neighbors wall. And that wall is holding up her property. Her property is 4 ft higher than my property there. Then there's stones and then my property.

If I rip out any bushes at that location, the roots will easily rip out that wall since most of them are actually being fed through that.

Oh well, back to strictly spinning blade to start off with. After that I have a 3-ft by 6-in auger, electrical plug in that I can break that soil up and then have got a tilling machine.
New Okay, got my solution
I already have a Porter cable battery powered sawzall. The default blade sucks but it was perfectly capable of taking down some bushes and a tree. I ordered a dozen wood pruning blades.

I don't like using the sawzall for the brush area since it's next to impossible to grab the vibrating thin branches and vines so the sawzall just shakes them around.

On the other hand, the new spinning blade device should show up in a day or so and that combined with the sawzall should take care of everything.
New Failing that, there's also the elbow grease method
https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/loppers

I usually go after brambles that have grown too large to pull out with one of these. It makes a nice clean cut at ground level (and I don't get yelled at for giving the irises a haircut if I use the trimmer...)

It is not the fastest method, but it does not have the downsides of the power tools.
New Already ordered the largest pair I could find.
They will be arriving in a couple of days. But that's too many cuts on the smaller stuff. So the bottom line is I'm going to chop down at the base wherever I could and I'm going to cut a path with a spinning blades wherever I have to. If I cut down a base that has a whole bunch of stuff already on it, I'm still going to need to spin blade the hell out of it. Then when it's finally done, I'm going to spin blade it while it's in the pile so I can throw it in my compost area.

And I'll spin blade a few bails of hay to throw on top.
New And I think you have a different idea of brambles from me right now
I have bought a property that is incredibly overgrown and has been for years. It's not like you let a season go and now you have to cut some stuff out. Nope.

Keep in mind I'm the Pacific Northwest. About 1,000 ft to the ocean. All the moisture these plants could possibly want.

I have a 100 by 200 ft property and the 200 ft left and 100 ft back have at least 10 to 30 ft of brambles. Dense bushes and thorny vines.
New I never saw thorny vines until I bought my last house
Took a couple days to cut it all down, then we rented a chipper to process it all. We broke the chipper.

When I had asked the guy if it could handle vines - since it was designed for branches - he said if it could fit in the chute it would handle it. He replaced it with the larger model for the same price.
--

Drew
New It was a bit like that years ago, but not that extensive.
     Spinning wheel brush cutters - (crazy) - (10)
         atv length of chain done -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Actually, I might do something like that - (crazy)
         Get/rent a gas powered brush cutter for the 1st pass? - (scoenye) - (1)
             Nah, way too much effort and danger. - (crazy)
         Okay, got my solution - (crazy) - (5)
             Failing that, there's also the elbow grease method - (scoenye) - (4)
                 Already ordered the largest pair I could find. - (crazy)
                 And I think you have a different idea of brambles from me right now - (crazy) - (2)
                     I never saw thorny vines until I bought my last house - (drook)
                     It was a bit like that years ago, but not that extensive. -NT - (scoenye)

I have this theory about the Brontosaurus...
175 ms