IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's here, it's here. It's here. The shed is here
How can a shed cause so much excitement? Let me tell you.

I live in half of a 1,400 ft² house. I live with my wife in the upstairs. We have a single bedroom that's decent size but not very large, a single bathroom and a rectangular space that houses both the kitchen and the living room and the non-existent dining room.

Downstairs is an almost duplicate and I'm creating a kitchen down there and we'll rent it out until I get old and then I will move down there when I can't handle stairs anymore. While the dimensions are exact on both floors, the downstairs has an extra wall which makes it a bit more claustrophobic and less flexible. Downstairs is not nearly as nice as upstairs and upstairs has the deck.

I have 700 ft² with my wife. I don't know you about you but 700 ft² is not a lot when you have another person and a lifetime of accumulation and a couple of hobbies and no storage.

We've already lived in 500 ft². We know we can do it. We love each other that much. But it's stupid. Those tiny house shows with families are so stupid. Every time they go through the cleanout process I start screaming at them to buy a couple of sheds.

So then I add three small plastic sheds in front of my house locking my front overhang area which gives a nice protected space. But that's not living space.

The 14x32 shingled roof wooden barn with a double door front just showed up. I've been waiting months for it.

It is tyvek weather wrapped with 4 double pane glass windows with screens.

The double doors open to a nice view of the fire pit. Far enough that you won't get burned, close enough that it looks good and you will stay warm right there.

Of course I won't depend on fire pit for heat. It's just nice to have there for fun and entertainment.

So I hear the vroom room room of a slow moving truck. I'd spent the morning weed whacking, clearing brush. I just spent the last hour resting. I lept up and tripped over the boots that I had just taken off and stretched my hip way too far and slammed down on my knee and my elbow.

I'll be fine in a day or two but right now I can't be doing anything with that shed. Oh well. It's nice to look at.

It has a back wall that can fit my 9 ft projection screen with room to spare. At this point I can fill it with the sauna and media toys and cooking gear and fridge/freezer and then pretty much give up the entire living room space that I currently occupy in the house, which means M can do absolutely anything she wants with that. She has been annoyed with me occupying pretty much all the space in the house. Win win-win.

448 of usable living space plus another two to six feet of storage space over the whole thing. It currently has about a third filled with plywood boards on the rafters for loft space and I can add as much as I want.

Note: This will be a clean living space with carpets on top of foam rubber mat floors. The walls will be covered with levels of soundproofing insulation combined with foam rubber mat foam. I really love those mats. The lawn gear already has its own shed and the wood shop is in its own shed next door.

It will be insulated ( rockwool looks like the best choice for both sound and temperature), quiet air conditioning, and heated. It will have hepa of fans running in it. It will have some high velocity exhaust for when I am cooking in it.

The only thing it won't have is a toilet. Gray water from cooking I can handle no problem.

If I ever want to live in it, I will have to think of some septic tank solution. That means pumping up a hill or putting in a second septic tank.

I have three outdoor circuits that I can run extension cords right now while I'm waiting for the yard to be dug up and the 320 amp lines to be brought back. When that's done I will both have 110 and 220 circuits to it.
New look into a composting toilet
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
Expand Edited by boxley June 23, 2022, 09:34:42 PM EDT
New Bucket system
Simple and no where near the cost of a composting toilet.

We have a cabin annex outhouse. The outhouse has a box with a regular toilet seat on top. Underneath is a bucket. Outside is a pen made out of 4 pallets on end. Each time you go, scoop plenty of sawdust in the bucket. Once the bucket is full, the contents go in the pen: put down a layer of straw, dump the bucket, cover with more straw. Rinse the bucket with soapy water. Repeat.

If you use enough sawdust, there is no smell.

(The guy who introduced it to us used it for a family of 5. The contents of the pen break down fast enough that it took them a couple of years before a 2nd one was needed.)
     It's here, it's here. It's here. The shed is here - (crazy) - (2)
         look into a composting toilet -NT - (boxley)
         Bucket system - (scoenye)

And my Gramma, too.
80 ms