IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Enjoy it.
I need to change one (so 4) glow plugs on my diesel VW. So I was watching YouTube videos on what's involved. There's one of some poor guy trying to get one out that broke off in the head of a GMC something or other. He was doing welding and spraying and all kinds of stuff. Amazingly, he got it out (the joy was great).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebQOKqMGdFA

I buy Michelin tires and only used to drive maybe 8-9,000 miles a year. The fronts would usually develop a network of surface sidewall cracks (from being parked on the street - heat, UV, ground level ozone, etc.) and I would have to replace them or the safety inspection guy would get cranky. They were still fine though even when probably 6-8+ years old.

I would always worry about rust with old American trucks, but I assume you're fine out there on that score.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New What do you mean I should be fine on rust?
I am in the wet. This is the Pacific Northwest right next to the ocean. It's always moist here. Makes it very easy to breathe. Everything rusts and rots here.

I didn't notice salt on the roads this winter. In New Jersey I would drive for 2 months through salty slush. That made some serious rust.

We had a snow over Christmas that shut everything down for 2 days but other than that pretty much nothing.
New I meant road salt. Yeah, the sea is a harsh mistress.
When I was in grad school, my favorite uncle in Ohio gave me his 1974 Galaxie 500 that he wasn't driving. He kept a bag of road salt in the trunk. It leaked. Ate through part of the floor in the trunk, part of the frame, part of the brake lines. I remember trying to jack it up with a bottle jack to work on the brakes, and the top of the screw punched a hole through the frame! But I got a few years of use out of it.

Salt and cars don't get along!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I live in a similar climate.
Coastal, with cool, wet winters. I'm also 250 metres from the sea.

My Saab got a little bit rusty round the rear arches (but then, it was also 12 years old when I sold it). The BMW (2014 model) has no rust at all. Modern cars resist rust much, much better than they used to.

Maybe American cars (which we almost never see on our roads) rot worse than Euro cars do?
New And I changed my mind on replacing tires now
I just did that with two other vehicles. I put on Michelin Cross country tires. I have the same attitude for Michelin as you do. But the mechanic had the car up on the lift and he spun the tires for me and he pointed out the great tread on the current tires and I really should not be replacing these tires without cause. So I won't. I'll replace them in three or four years.
New I get a lot of miles out of tyres.
20K is not unusual. I've got Bridgestone Turanzas on at the moment.

What's the law on tread depth in your state? 1.6mm is the legal minimum here, but I generally replace at 3mm or less.
New tires here have markers in the treads, as long s they are not worn the tires are safe.
I get around 40k miles on a set of tires but that is over a short period of time.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New We have tread wear markers too.
But if you reach the wear marker, you're at 1.6mm, and you're at the legal minimum.
New Clueless about the limit, I'd be googling just like you.
I have a few methods of determining if it is time to replace. Number one if I notice the woppity woppity noise when the indicator gets worn to. Number two if I skid out. Simple as that. If I hit a skid then I need better tires because they're not matching my driving condition and style. Since this so very rarely happens, I'm pointing fingers at the tires. So then I go get new tires. Number three is simply when I buy a new used car. I don't trust those tires. I want the Michelin cross-countries. I go get the new tires.
New "Googling just like me"?
Nah, I just know this stuff, because it's important.
New Really, you know the USDOT regulations concerning this?
New he dsigned traffic lights for a living and stayed in a holiday inn express once
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New nope
New I was talking about the UK legal minimum.
New AFAIK, there are no USDOT regs for non-commercial vehicles.
It is up to each State to set the minimum depth. Most use 2/32 (aka. 1.6 mm), CA and ID use 1/32, some set no limit.
     My new old magic carpet ride - (crazy) - (22)
         The tyres WILL "rot out", whether the vehicle is in use or not. - (CRConrad) - (3)
             Okay as a general maintenance goal - (crazy)
             And the "apparent" in your signature - (crazy) - (1)
                 YOUR "approval" is the last thing I need. It was just an explicit alibi. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Enjoy it. - (Another Scott) - (14)
             What do you mean I should be fine on rust? - (crazy) - (2)
                 I meant road salt. Yeah, the sea is a harsh mistress. - (Another Scott)
                 I live in a similar climate. - (pwhysall)
             And I changed my mind on replacing tires now - (crazy) - (10)
                 I get a lot of miles out of tyres. - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     tires here have markers in the treads, as long s they are not worn the tires are safe. - (boxley) - (8)
                         We have tread wear markers too. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             Clueless about the limit, I'd be googling just like you. - (crazy) - (6)
                                 "Googling just like me"? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     Really, you know the USDOT regulations concerning this? -NT - (crazy) - (4)
                                         he dsigned traffic lights for a living and stayed in a holiday inn express once -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                             nope -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         I was talking about the UK legal minimum. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         AFAIK, there are no USDOT regs for non-commercial vehicles. - (scoenye)
         Well, thats's newer then my Ford E-450 base motor home. :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             didnt you buy that new? - (boxley) - (1)
                 Yep, picked it up in January 2005. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

There's no wraith like an Old wraith.
127 ms