IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That not putting all your eggs in someone else's single basket beats economies of scale, IMO.
New In my experience that cloud basket is better than a company's single basket
Especially with availability zones and multiple regions. Most companies don't have the capital or expertise to set up a local equivalent that even remotely approaches the robustness of a big cloud provider. The enormous cost savings of not owning multiple physical plants (you need at least two, separated far enough geographically that they're on separate electrical grids and in different natural disaster regions) can be spent on hardening your cloud presence, with plenty of money left over for other things.

If you're truly concerned about a single provider, use Terraform or Serverless to spread your infrastructure across multiple providers. Complexity goes way up, however, and the incremental benefit over using multiple regions in a single provider probably isn't worth the investment.

As an example, Google's SRE discipline is aimed at hitting 99.99% reliability. Anything over that isn't going to be noticed by users and the incremental improvements are cost-scaled way out of proportion to the improvements.

Companies I've worked for have had issues from 3rd party SaaS vendors way more often than the IaaS cloud providers. In the past 8 years I can think of 2 times where we were directly affected by a cloud provider's issues, and maybe 2 or 3 times indirectly. Having said that, avoid AWS' us-east-1 as most of the issues seem to happen in that region.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Pretty sure we're using us-east-1
Got anything you can point to showing why we shouldn't?
--

Drew
New Most of the big failures I've seen have been there
Regards,
-scott
New Thanks, got some people I'll forward this to
--

Drew
New There's a 3rd party vendor we recently rejected
Their availability averaged 96% over the past 6 months, and a number of the outages and degradations were either caused by or exacerbated by AWS issues, all in us-east-1.
Regards,
-scott
New 2 weeks of downtime per year
That's really bad.
New I think us-east-1 is their original location.
So there must be some hardware build decisions left over from when it was first created.
New Yes, there are a number of oddities with that region.
They finally removed the weird "S3 buckets are global, but really they're just in us-east-1" problem, but there are still a number of global API endpoints that are hosted there. This can make locking down regions that can create new resources difficult if one of those regions isn't us-east-1.
Regards,
-scott
     Strange goings on in the cloud - (Another Scott) - (28)
         The stack of case studies must be touching the ceiling by now - (scoenye)
         The strange thing is that everything IS in the fricking "cloud" in the first place. - (CRConrad) - (18)
             One thing hasn't changed yet - (drook) - (14)
                 data is not math -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     And what would they have done differently if they'd learned that? -NT - (drook) - (3)
                         quit using spreadsheets as a database -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             How does that prevent an outage when your host shuts down to respond to an attack? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                 it doesn't -NT - (boxley)
                 That not putting all your eggs in someone else's single basket beats economies of scale, IMO. -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
                     In my experience that cloud basket is better than a company's single basket - (malraux) - (7)
                         Pretty sure we're using us-east-1 - (drook) - (4)
                             Most of the big failures I've seen have been there - (malraux) - (3)
                                 Thanks, got some people I'll forward this to -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                     There's a 3rd party vendor we recently rejected - (malraux) - (1)
                                         2 weeks of downtime per year - (crazy)
                         I think us-east-1 is their original location. - (static) - (1)
                             Yes, there are a number of oddities with that region. - (malraux)
             The first time I coded for the web it was 3270 all the way down - (crazy) - (2)
                 MVC as a conceptual description hasn't changed much - (drook)
                 Mine was kind of similar. - (CRConrad)
         Cole brings out the flamethrower. - (Another Scott)
         Reddit thread claims that it's ransomware - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Scott’s probably already seen this - (rcareaga)
         The site is back, but no backups yet. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             "15-ish days, and still nothing useful from 3xxDC" -- so they're down to about 350DC by now? -NT - (CRConrad)
             Brutal! - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Hold a host accountable for what they should be doing? What a concept. -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     It will never happen - (crazy)

Back in my day, if we needed directions we had to slaughter a goat and wiggle the intestines!
127 ms