IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The first time I coded for the web it was 3270 all the way down
Handling the browser portion in forms that contained multiple fields and slinging information back and forth to the back end which I also programmed. I commented to the mainframers that this is just like a 3270 terminal working in a mainframe interface. Sure you got fonts and graphics but internally it's pretty much the same.
New MVC as a conceptual description hasn't changed much
It's still just UI, data (model), and the glue between. The only thing changing is where the code for the different pieces is running.

Maybe I'm officially one of the old farts who just doesn't think the new stuff is any good, but I really haven't seen much that's genuinely new. Machine learning and distributed parallel computing are huge, but that's not what most people are working on.
--

Drew
New Mine was kind of similar.
Twenty years ago, when I was a DW consultant at Oracle. A part of the reporting system for a client, kind of a "two-level recursive meta" thing: PL/SQL that generated HTML/JS that, when clicking a link or button to drill down, called other HTML/JS generated by other PL/SQL procedures. Having built similar stuff in Delphi at my previous job, it felt pretty damn stone-age. (And "Visual" Source Safe didn't make that better.)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Strange goings on in the cloud - (Another Scott) - (28)
         The stack of case studies must be touching the ceiling by now - (scoenye)
         The strange thing is that everything IS in the fricking "cloud" in the first place. - (CRConrad) - (18)
             One thing hasn't changed yet - (drook) - (14)
                 data is not math -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                     And what would they have done differently if they'd learned that? -NT - (drook) - (3)
                         quit using spreadsheets as a database -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             How does that prevent an outage when your host shuts down to respond to an attack? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                 it doesn't -NT - (boxley)
                 That not putting all your eggs in someone else's single basket beats economies of scale, IMO. -NT - (CRConrad) - (8)
                     In my experience that cloud basket is better than a company's single basket - (malraux) - (7)
                         Pretty sure we're using us-east-1 - (drook) - (4)
                             Most of the big failures I've seen have been there - (malraux) - (3)
                                 Thanks, got some people I'll forward this to -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                     There's a 3rd party vendor we recently rejected - (malraux) - (1)
                                         2 weeks of downtime per year - (crazy)
                         I think us-east-1 is their original location. - (static) - (1)
                             Yes, there are a number of oddities with that region. - (malraux)
             The first time I coded for the web it was 3270 all the way down - (crazy) - (2)
                 MVC as a conceptual description hasn't changed much - (drook)
                 Mine was kind of similar. - (CRConrad)
         Cole brings out the flamethrower. - (Another Scott)
         Reddit thread claims that it's ransomware - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Scott’s probably already seen this - (rcareaga)
         The site is back, but no backups yet. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             "15-ish days, and still nothing useful from 3xxDC" -- so they're down to about 350DC by now? -NT - (CRConrad)
             Brutal! - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Hold a host accountable for what they should be doing? What a concept. -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     It will never happen - (crazy)

Fighty Bits: Yay!
Talkie Bits: SUCK!!
72 ms