IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I had that. You DO heal. (Though it may come back.)
Twice, winter 2018-19 and again in 2019-20. Lasted a month or three each time, pain was excruciating. Didn't help to know that it was a "phantom pain", nothing actually wrong with the place that was "hurting", just with the signals from it because of the nerves getting squeezed. Mine was between two of the vertebrae in the upper part of the spine, so the pain was in the shoulders and arms, mostly the right side. For a few weeks, especially the first time, I couldn't sleep lying down; had to drape myself in a weird position on the couch, hugging the back rest.

Talking to doctors and looking at X-rays, I learned that it doesn't quite work as I had imagined: I thought the shell of the disk ruptures, the liquid within it leaks out and it deflates, and the vertebrae rub on each other and squeeze the nerves. Turns out this stuff is a lot more resilient than I thought: Just a small rupture in the shell means the goo inside -- which is much thicker than I thought, near-solid -- bulges out and that bulge of goo is what impinges on the nerve. The disc mostly holds its shape and keeps the vertebrae apart. As the rupture heals, the leaked-out goo is slurped back in or gets cut off and dissolved, dunno which.

Your brain does a lot of re-routing on the receiving end of those nerves (presumably to restore some semblance of function, but apparently also with the effect of sparing you some of the pain). Some (much?) of that is permanent; I still have a constant tingling in my right thumb and some in the side of the arm leading down to it. My right arm and hand feels cold -- apparently not just to me, but to the touch of others -- pretty much all the time. The thumb is useless for tapping on the phone, so apparently its surface capacitance has been permanently altered.

But all that is piss in the ocean compared to the acute pain, so I'm not complaining (much).

And, as I said, I had that three winters ago, again two winters ago, but not these last two years. So it can go away. (Hmm, been having a bit of an ache in the neck and upper shoulders this last week...?) In some severe cases they do apparently consider surgery, but mostly there's nothing for it but to wait for it to go away on its own.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Something popped in my back once...
I was trying to move some fully-loaded metal shelves that were dug into the floor tiles. Tug, tug, POP! Ouch!!!1

It was excruciating to use the clutch in my car.

It got better after about 3 weeks. It flares up again occasionally, like last weekend when I was rearranging some cords after installing our new TV. Blinding pain as my back spasmed up tight. Fortunately, it only lasted a couple of nights this time.

In my case, it's associated with getting stiffer over the years. What really helps me is doing leg presses on our cable-based weight bench to stretch out my knees, legs, and lower back. If I don't do it for a few weeks/months, then everything gets tight and it gets really, really easy to re-injure myself.

Whoever designed human backs really messed up. :-(

Best of luck to M, crazy, and to you, CRC.

Cheers,
Scott.
("Who is heading down to the basement to do some stretching now...")
     M ruptured a disc in her back - (crazy) - (4)
         I had that. You DO heal. (Though it may come back.) - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Something popped in my back once... - (Another Scott)
         one suggestion, not sure if it wil work if her body mass is similar to when I last saw her - (boxley)
         Book you should get - (drook)

But it makes such great fish bait!
70 ms