IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New GPT-3 gee whiz
Here’s a longish read (NYT, but if you’re not already behind the paywall you all know how to burrow beneath it) on the advances that are being made in language manipulation by machine. You know me: I’ve long maintained that AI will creep up on us, and that artificial sentience (internally quite alien to our own consciousness but, as here, capable of impressive feats of mimicry) will arrive not with a thunderclap but incrementally, going variously unrecognized or denied long after the fact.

Anyway, this’ll be well worth your fifteen minutes. We’ve come a long, long way from ELIZA:
However the training problem is addressed in the years to come, GPT-3 and its peers have made one astonishing thing clear: The machines have acquired language. The ability to express ourselves in complex prose has always been one of our defining magic tricks as a species. Until now, if you wanted a system to generate complex, syntactically coherent thoughts, you needed humans to do the work. Now, for the first time, the computers can do it, too. Even if you accept the Gary Marcus critique — that the large language models simply present the illusion of intelligence, a statistical sleight of hand — there’s something undeniably momentous in the fact that we have finally met another magician.
cordially,
New Compared to “HAL’s Legacy”
In 1997 MIT published a volume of essays about the state of AI, and how 2001 had inspired a generation or two of researchers. Seems to me that after a quarter of a century the state of the art has gone on afterburners. My reflections here.

cordially,
New well written
sat in on a very interesting presentation of AI assisted IVR. Unlike normal IVR that most of us use where we scream "HUMAN!" into the receiver to get real attention, this product replaced an IT help desk with a female human sounding interface.

We queried this product with what we would consider easy then more difficult end user issues from passd resets to hanging virtual drives. We were all very impressed.

However after asking the price the annual license was $9 million a year for 100 seats.
A senior Manager spoke up "you know how many nose picking highschool grads working off of cheat sheets I can hire for a lot less?" and sent the vendor on his way rejoicing.
It is getting a lot better by each generation.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Just today CNN had a story that AI is better at analysing mammographs and predicting cancer than...
humans.

But, the CNN website doesn't have it yet.

The Washington Post had an article back in December: Is artificial intelligence about to transform the mammogram?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New We're using this at work.
It's pretty damn good at writing something based only on some written instructions and maybe an example or two. With fine tuning (giving it say 1000 examples of what you're looking for) the model gets even better.

For our purposes there's no difference between the illusion of intelligence and something that acts well enough for writing commercial scripts.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     GPT-3 gee whiz - (rcareaga) - (4)
         Compared to “HAL’s Legacy” - (rcareaga) - (1)
             well written - (boxley)
         Just today CNN had a story that AI is better at analysing mammographs and predicting cancer than... - (a6l6e6x)
         We're using this at work. - (malraux)

Same bat time, same bat channel.
69 ms