IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The tale of the king size mattress
M says we're going to town. We're going shopping. We need a king size mattress for our downstairs bedroom. We already have the bed and headboard that was delivered that I have to put together and now we need the mattress.

Costco. Here's a mattress. I like this mattress. Okay let's get this mattress. The guys at checkout say make sure you tell the guys at the entrance that you need someone to help loading this. They will send two guys out to help you.

Pull the car up. It's a Kia Niro. This king size mattress is much larger than the car. It's going flat on top. Door person says to the guy who's about to help me: get away from there, you're not allowed to lift that.

What the f***? They told me on checkout. I will get some help loading this mattress. Nope. Not on top of a car. That's the wrong way to do it and we won't help because insurance doesn't allow us to do that. M************!

So M and I strap the mattress to the roof. I have two straps running through the back windows and the front windows to hold this mattress down.

At 30 miles an hour it lifts up. It slams down. I am driving windy mountain roads and the speed limit is 55 but I can't get past 30 without this thing slamming up and down.

The strap comes across eye level. I put my arm over the strap and realize just how loose it is. No matter how much I tighten this strap, it's a mattress. It gives a little bit more and a little bit more and becomes loose in a few seconds. F*** it. I'll drive slow. On a single line highway and piss people off. I pull over constantly while people pass me.

I have my arm wrapped around the strap holding the mattress down while driving. I am holding on as tight as I can without destroying my shoulder. And still be able to drive. And I cross 30 mph and then I get a wind in front of me and the mattress lifts up and lifts me up and rips my shoulder out and slams me back down. And thank God I didn't run off the road.

I got it home. I will never do that again. I will never place a mattress on top of a car again. If I have to do this I will pay someone else to do it or I will rent a pickup truck and put it up sideways.
New strap front to rear as well
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I tried
Halfway through the ride I pulled over to the cheap booze store. Cheap gas too I love my local Indians. They got the cheapest booze and gas. But then I realized my straps didn't run the entire length of the car. So I said f*** it and got back on the road.
New A different tale of a mattress
For a few months at the end of 1973 I rented a furnished room in a big, shabby Victorian near the beach in Santa Cruz. The principal piece of furniture was a king size bed. The mattress appeared on the evidence of visible residuum to have been the site, times past, of every life process imaginable. At the foot of the thing this tag had been affixed: “Sanitized for your protection at Bud’s Secondhand Warehouse – Santa Cruz, California – January 1958.”

Mind you, from my perspective at twenty-one, January 1958—I was then five years old—might as well have been the Crimean War, so distant did my early childhood appear from that vantage (more distant, in a way, than twenty-one appears from here). My contemporaries when I related the story were suitably amused and appalled as they would not be today were I to relate a story of a mattress “sanitized” in 2006.

(Incidentally, in certain parts of California I have run across strip malls with three or four different mattress retailers within a hundred yard radius. Apparently this sort of thing is not uncommon. Well, eventually more grist for Bud’s mill, I suppose.)

drowsily,
     The tale of the king size mattress - (crazy) - (3)
         strap front to rear as well -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             I tried - (crazy)
         A different tale of a mattress - (rcareaga)

You will be boiled in vegetable oil and packaged for housecats.
105 ms