IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anyone know what's still on the export restrictions list?
--

Drew
New start here
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Good lord that's hard to read
Found another link that reminded me what I was looking for. It wasn't the PC itself. It's the cryptography that's probably on it. If you've got anything that supports encryption above 64-bit then it's classified as a weapon and export restricted.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook April 15, 2022, 11:57:28 AM EDT
New The first commercially supported HTTPS server was classified as munitions
If you wanted a secure server you had to build it yourself and at that point it became illegal because you were using the patented algorithms that were only commercially available in one server. Apache via a particular vendor who licensed the cryptography libraries and at that point you had to sign all kinds of documents saying you wouldn't export it.
New I had an RSA t-shirt for a while.
Back when RSA cryptography was prohibited from being exported from the US. I never tried to take it into and then out of the US, though. Didn't want that fight at the border!

Thought you might be amused to know that.

Wade.
New This goes back to the late seventies at least
I remember reading an account, then, of a mathematician who’d been scheduled to present a paper at a conference. The NSA intercepted him—because the maths he was speaking of could have been employed to devise (then) unbreakable encryptions—and forbade him to appear, threatening a lengthy prison sentence if he defied them.

cryptically,
     Exchange on the Book of Face with… - (rcareaga) - (13)
         Once he went from gun to weapon he was right - (crazy)
         He’s just gone tankie - (rcareaga) - (4)
             It's really, really easy to be a contrarian. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 “With luck, he'll grow out of it” - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Linux boards are always political - (drook)
                     He's not changing and he's a moron - (crazy)
         wrap linux with fully locked down disa stig compliance they are still vulnerable if on the net -NT - (boxley)
         Anyone know what's still on the export restrictions list? -NT - (drook) - (5)
             start here - (boxley) - (4)
                 Good lord that's hard to read - (drook) - (3)
                     The first commercially supported HTTPS server was classified as munitions - (crazy) - (2)
                         I had an RSA t-shirt for a while. - (static) - (1)
                             This goes back to the late seventies at least - (rcareaga)

Safety is our first concern! Actually, meat is our first concern, safety is second.
57 ms