IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Request: Reviews / advice on what "Residential gateway" to get?
Yeah, "Residential gateway"... That's apparently what these thingies are called nowadays: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residential_gateway -- the modem/router combo that, AFAICR, was first invented by kms here in this very forum (though possibly -- probably? -- in one of its previous incarnations).

My current connection is by cable, and I suppose I'd prefer to stay on that, since our cable provider's price with Internet bundled up with cable TV is probably unbeatable. (Not quite necessarily, though.) Needs WiFi and preferable Ethernet connections; I'm thinking of relocating the box from the living room to my new home office (Max's old room; I think I could get a cable through the wall to his new one next door so he could do his gaming on a faster connection, and any devices in the living room -- next door in the other direction -- oughta still work).

Pros, cons, pitfalls to look out for, concrete device suggestions? All equally welcome.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Name your WiFi "CIA Black Site"
Oh, did you want *useful* advice?

--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook April 7, 2022, 10:28:07 AM EDT
New Does your current provider supply such a box?
If so, and it works well enough, I'd be inclined to stay with it.

However, these things often have laughable wifi performance. If that's an issue, then go shopping. You'll probably need your provider's box to act as the cable receiver, but you should be able to put it into "modem-only mode", and then use your own wifi router.

World's your lobster at that point; I like The Wirecutter for initial recommendations.

ETA: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/
Expand Edited by pwhysall April 7, 2022, 10:35:55 AM EDT
New I just upgraded to an Arris Surfboard SBG8300 4gbs download speeds docsis 3.1 compatable
unfortunately the only vendor that offers more than 18mbs is the cable company. I have a 1gbs pipe. There is 4 jacks for hardwired connections and the wireless offers 433mps download speed from the farthest room which has about 100ft and 4 walls and between the wireless device and the cable modem. I will be good for a while.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New My setup:
Separate things so they don't cost a lot when I only need to upgrade one of them.

Orbi mesh network with one satellite, really damn good wifi everywhere in the house and a hardpoint on the base station for gaming.

Motorola MB8600 cable modem.

Pretty close to 1G down and 41Mbps up at the base station, 350M over wifi with multiple devices at once.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I'd keep them separate.
We have cable too. I bought this DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem in 2014. It's been fine. (We don't have super-speed internet.)

I upgrade our home WiFi much more often than the cable modem. We've had good luck with TP-Link stuff and at the moment we're using these WiFi 6 boxes and 4 older Deco pucks for use in offices and other rooms. They work well together.

I plug in cheap gigabit Ethernet switches to expand connections to them.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New How well do you know your Cable Co?
Our charges for the privilege to be able to give them money, at a rate that the box would be paid for in under 2 years. We did get our own to avoid that (Arris TG862G). What we didn't expect is that our provider would also give the IP side a complete lobotomy and replace things with their feature set (to wit, their public access SSID, guest network eliminated, ability to siphon the passwords, ...) So, if yours does the same, go for the most basic feature set and build on outside.

We recently had to extend the range of the Wifi a bit and decided to go with Netgear (Proxim would have been the choice based on work experience, but those things are hard to get a hold of.) We ended up going with an R6700AX to replace the Arris' Wifi and a GS305EP PoE switch plus AX1800 dual band AP for the extension.

Overall, the Netgear equipment is pretty good (barring the occasional critical vulnerabilty...) The switch, however, does have an obnoxious, undocumented, "sign your life away" page you have to agree to before you can use it.
New Thanks guys!
Not as unanimous as one could have hoped to make it super-easy, but lots of good thoughts. Will look around along the lines most recommended. Thanks!
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Request: Reviews / advice on what "Residential gateway" to get? - (CRConrad) - (7)
         Name your WiFi "CIA Black Site" -NT - (drook)
         Does your current provider supply such a box? - (pwhysall)
         I just upgraded to an Arris Surfboard SBG8300 4gbs download speeds docsis 3.1 compatable - (boxley)
         My setup: - (malraux)
         I'd keep them separate. - (Another Scott)
         How well do you know your Cable Co? - (scoenye)
         Thanks guys! - (CRConrad)

Why does this guitar smell like CHEESE?!?
71 ms