Save the stack. Pray you understand what you did with the local variables. Jump hard. Long jump is the ultimate bail maneuver when you are programming in C.

Even better. I knew which address to jump to to reboot the IBM xt. When I ran out of memory I rebooted the box.

There were many computers at the Monmouth county library. The Monmouth county library had many branches. I wrote a program that replaced their card catalogs. It talked to the main Unix systems and told them what was in stock and checked out. It drew a little ascii map of the library and put a little pointer and floated along from where they were to where the book was that they wanted.

When the library opened there was a ceremony. There was a crowd of people. This crowd of people wandered around the library and used my computers to find books. They s*** themselves. That was a wonderful moment.

But occasionally that program would s*** itself. It would run out of memory. So I jumped to the first thousand bytes and shoved a bit of data in a particular location and rebooted the box. I used to teach C courses and explained how to do this to other programmers. I passed this bit of knowledge and many people rebooted boxes because I told them to.