1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Go-tos within a 30-page CASE statement ... [shudder]
--

Drew
New Not just gotos, I had long jumps
Save the stack. Pray you understand what you did with the local variables. Jump hard. Long jump is the ultimate bail maneuver when you are programming in C.

Even better. I knew which address to jump to to reboot the IBM xt. When I ran out of memory I rebooted the box.

There were many computers at the Monmouth county library. The Monmouth county library had many branches. I wrote a program that replaced their card catalogs. It talked to the main Unix systems and told them what was in stock and checked out. It drew a little ascii map of the library and put a little pointer and floated along from where they were to where the book was that they wanted.

When the library opened there was a ceremony. There was a crowd of people. This crowd of people wandered around the library and used my computers to find books. They s*** themselves. That was a wonderful moment.

But occasionally that program would s*** itself. It would run out of memory. So I jumped to the first thousand bytes and shoved a bit of data in a particular location and rebooted the box. I used to teach C courses and explained how to do this to other programmers. I passed this bit of knowledge and many people rebooted boxes because I told them to.
Expand Edited by crazy April 6, 2022, 09:45:54 PM EDT
     Old UNIX game archaeology - (pwhysall) - (20)
         Something wrong with the $PATH at that line? -NT - (drook) - (19)
             Not the $PATH, but a missing -I. - (pwhysall) - (18)
                 Well obviously anyone trying to build apps would know to do that, duh! -NT - (drook) - (17)
                     Here's one of the error messages - (pwhysall) - (16)
                         mix of gcc and cc usage? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Nope -NT - (pwhysall)
                         I assume it's related to sizes of various things changing as memory spaces got bigger. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Nope :) -NT - (pwhysall)
                         Well, the answer was obvious - (pwhysall) - (11)
                             Oh dear. - (static) - (10)
                                 One thing I love about Rust... - (InThane) - (9)
                                     I miss the generic PCC messages - (crazy) - (8)
                                         On the other hand, it was part of a 30-page case statement - (crazy) - (7)
                                             Didn't you have anyone doing code review? - (drook) - (6)
                                                 Code review? I was the ultimate cowboy coder in those days. - (crazy) - (5)
                                                     Mel? Is that you? -NT - (InThane) - (2)
                                                         Oh how I loved Mel - (crazy) - (1)
                                                             I learned to code for others after that job - (crazy)
                                                     Go-tos within a 30-page CASE statement ... [shudder] -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                         Not just gotos, I had long jumps - (crazy)

First documented case of homosexual necrophilia in the mallard duck species.
114 ms