IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've chiseled before
And I went too far. I lost control. Hammer and chisel is the last moment before you finish. A chisel is nothing to be used as a default. I hate chisels.

Actually my brother, the Renaissance man who does everything correctly, told me I should be using an oscillating tool. I actually have one but I have no idea how to use it. Time to start googling and you tubing.
New Oscillating tools are great, but not magical
Make sure you go sloooooowly. Let the tool do ALL of the work. Don't push on it to force it to go more quickly.

Also, figure out how to brace the tool so it's traveling straight. You can very easily make a complete hash out of whatever you're working on.

Finally, get the right blade for the job. Each type has a different material it will cut.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New That's what you're paying for when you pay the man
90% of what you're paying for is knowing the right way and the right tools. The other 10% is the skill with that tool.
--

Drew
New I have time and spare materials
I enjoy working with wood. This learning process is not a bad thing.
New Wood can be unforgiving...
I replaced the hinges to our hall bath with offset ones so my FIL could use it with his walker (it got the door out of the way enough for him to roll in). It turns out that there's apparently a big nail or something from the framing behind the trim in the perfect spot to interfere with one of the longer hinge screws.

I ended up trying to use some plastic hollow-wall anchors to give the screw enough to bite into, but it's still not right (even after putting the "original" hinges back years later).

It's amazing how a "simple" job can be so difficult to do properly...

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yes, it is
That's why I have lots of wood to practice on. I will get it right when it counts.

I anticipate creating a wood shop. I really like working with wood. There is something about creating something with wood that feels really good. Before I create that wood shop I have to collect tools. I have to practice. I have to play. And I will enjoy my play.

Any project I do at this point is for fun.
     I need to install a door - (crazy) - (20)
         bosch or makita both solid - (boxley) - (3)
             Re: bosch or makita both solid - (crazy) - (2)
                 Re: bosch or makita both solid - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Great video for morons - (crazy)
         Pay The Man. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             I have the self-centering drill bits on the shopping list - (crazy)
             Concur - (scoenye)
             Re: Pay The Man. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 Experienced craftsfolk are magical - (malraux) - (2)
                     Clean first pass is so much better than slap it on then clean it up, same with painting -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         M is magic with drywall - (crazy)
         I bought a Milwaukee router a few years ago. - (Another Scott)
         Are you sure you need a router for this one job, four hinge cutouts? - (CRConrad) - (7)
             Correct - (pwhysall) - (6)
                 I've chiseled before - (crazy) - (5)
                     Oscillating tools are great, but not magical - (malraux) - (4)
                         That's what you're paying for when you pay the man - (drook) - (3)
                             I have time and spare materials - (crazy) - (2)
                                 Wood can be unforgiving... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Yes, it is - (crazy)

do
head.bang(wall);
while(1);
51 ms