IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Inductive reasoning
I was on the point of throwing away my iPhone 8, and replacing it with the closest equivalent model—the 2022 iPhone SE—because the old unit, purchased not quite four years ago, no longer charges reliably. I’ve hit its “Lightning” port repeatedly with contact cleaner and scraped it with tools, but it can no longer be counted upon to fire up: I connect it and, after a momentary signal that electricity is being received, the thing craps out. Not always, but one is pissed off to find the battery nearly dead after the unit has been left supposedly charging overnight.

As I was prepared to discard the thing, a little due diligence revealed that it can actually be refreshed by means of “induction” charging. I have acquired a unit at modest cost (a tiny fraction of what a replacement phone would have involved) that does the trick. Hurrah!

I don’t mind that the Model 8 has a mediocre camera. I don’t demand much of a portable phone, and this superannuated model has met, apart from the charging issues, all my requirements hitherto. And now, apparently, it and I can limp along for another couple of years.

cordially,
New Handy, innit?
It’s one of the few things I wish my work handset - an iPhone 7 in champagne - had. I only charge my own iPhone 11 Pro Max via the cable when I’ve been deleterious and allowed it to run down to 20% or thereabouts, and need it charging toot sweet, as I have one of those fast-charger multiport doohickeys to which I connect all my USB doin’s (except the iPad, for which I used the supplied Apple charger).

It sits on a Samsung wireless charger most of the time.

(Aside - the 7 is actually still 100% viable as a business phone; running the latest iOS and everything. Compared to my personal 11 Pro Max it’s comically small, but the only real performance issue I’ve encountered is that system software updates install at a pace that could charitably be described as glacial)
New I like the old thing
I would have gone for the 2022 SE, notwithstanding its other limitations, because I prefer the physical button and the dimensions (absent that option I would likely have gritted my teeth and gone for the like-proportioned 13 mini). Being retired, I don’t ask much of these devices, and do not require latest-and-greatest iterations of them.

cordlessly,
     Inductive reasoning - (rcareaga) - (2)
         Handy, innit? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I like the old thing - (rcareaga)

He's so far to the right of the bell curve he could drop a marble and it wouldn't roll away.
105 ms