IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Redrawing the boundaries to match real shadows would probably help.

Would probably never happen though.

I haven't looked carefully, but my understanding is that the legislation is just that there's no federal standard any more. States, apparently, can still have Standard/DST if they want. And that makes sense. There are lots of arguments in favor of doing the time change 2x a year (while there are also arguments against).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Weird. Since the daylight is apparently distributed along a NW/SE axis, why are the time zones...
...arranged along strict north-south borders, and not southeast-northwest?
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Legacy of the railroads.
I don't know the details, but I think they wanted the boundaries in the countryside away from the cities. And wanted to try to minimize the number of time boundaries in a state.

There's always going to have to be compromises.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's kind of the point
Before time zones, every city had their own noon. Zones made it possible to keep track without carrying around a book full of tables.

Time zones exist to trade accuracy for simplicity.
--

Drew
New when I first went to alaska in the 70's they had 4 time zones since collapsed into one for bidness
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yeah guys, I knew both of those. But look at the colour bands' direction.
You'd get more accurate clock/Sun coordination moving the top left state in each TZ into the TZ to the left of where it is (dark blue ones would go medium blue), and the bottom right one to the right (light pink/purple ones go dark pink). Most TZs would go from three or even four different colour bands to two.

IFF, that is, the colour bands represent what I think they do, "rough time of day according to the Sun"?
--

Christian R. Conrad

New I don't know why the legends didn't transfer with the graphics.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/03/17/daylight-saving-time-sunrise-sunset/

The rounded upper-right legend is:

"Time of the latest sunrise of the year if daylight saving time is made permanent"

Darkest - top = 10AM or later
Decreasing in 30 minute increments
Lightest - bottom = 7:30 - 8:00 AM

"Note: Sunrise times calculated based on the centerpoint of each county." - So that's why the shadow boundaries aren't smooth.

HTH!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Hmm, ""Time of the latest sunrise..."
Yeah, shouldn't that work as a proxy for "time of day according to the Sun"?
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Kinda sorta.
New Aha -- so it straightens up and tips over?
The borders of my "sunlight time zones" should lean the other way in autumn, so vertical is the sensible all-year compromise? Sounds legit; I retract my objection.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Mine will be 9:00 to 9:30
I support this. Do it.
     DST or Standard or both? - (malraux) - (11)
         Redrawing the boundaries to match real shadows would probably help. - (Another Scott) - (10)
             Weird. Since the daylight is apparently distributed along a NW/SE axis, why are the time zones... - (CRConrad) - (9)
                 Legacy of the railroads. - (Another Scott)
                 That's kind of the point - (drook) - (1)
                     when I first went to alaska in the 70's they had 4 time zones since collapsed into one for bidness -NT - (boxley)
                 Yeah guys, I knew both of those. But look at the colour bands' direction. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                     I don't know why the legends didn't transfer with the graphics. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         Hmm, ""Time of the latest sunrise..." - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             Kinda sorta. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Aha -- so it straightens up and tips over? - (CRConrad)
                         Mine will be 9:00 to 9:30 - (crazy)

I say first, medicinal wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle!
74 ms