IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New He sounds nice
On the basis of his, er, intemperate remarks today, Putin seems to be emotionally invested in this clusterfuck to an unhealthy degree. Not a good sign. You know, one thing about the commies is that they possessed a substrate of belief that history was on their side, that the triumph of the Marxist model was, so to say, preordained. IOW, they were going to win in the end, so why take unnecessary chances? Historian Stephen Kotkin, author of a massive biography of Stalin, once noted that when the Soviet archives were (briefly) made available to Western scholars, it was amusing how many of these researchers were surprised that Stalin and his successors were actually…believing communists.

If Putin believes anything, it appears that he believes in Russian greatness and in the vindictiveness of a world that impedes its operation, and the referenced speech suggests that he takes this perceived insult to Holy Russia personally. It’s difficult to see anything good coming of this.

I’ve been…not dismayed, really, but a little nonplussed to observe, in some of my internet hangouts, the intemperate responses from participants who do not ordinarily raise their voices. I can understand this, and do not fault their responses, being concerned merely that it partakes a bit of 12/7 or 9/11 war hysteria. Certainly I share the outrage, even if I am disposed by temperament not to shout.

A great many internet generals have sprung from their armchairs demanding vigorous action against the beastly foe, beginning with a no-fly zone, proceeding to NATO troops in Ukraine, and all the way up to nuke them before they nuke us. Myself, I recognize that I’m neither a military nor a foreign policy expert, and have some confidence—as I certainly would not have two years ago—that there are competent, if fallible, people making decisions on the basis of information to which I am not privy.

It does seem to me, though, that the West has reached an inflection point, if you will pardon the expression, with respect to its relations with a viciously revanchist Russia that has now begun, in Martin Amis’s memorable phrase, to fizz with rabies. Short of war, and even—even—at risk of war, we need to isolate and strangle the regime which, even though we helped midwife it thirty years ago, has figuratively and literally spread poison among its perceived foes for most of the present century, and the leader of which has proclaimed his hostile intent in unmistakable language.

None of what I say here is by means of excusing the USA’s sundry moral atrocities times past, but if we are not to live going forward in Putin’s world, Putin needs to be, in his own translated phraseology, canceled, one way or another.

cordially,

LRPD: Ya got trouble, folks!
New it appears that putin overreached andis now having an internal debate to go all in or retrench
and declare victory. A lot of analysts thought the endgame was to use force to push to the borders of the two russian oblasts hold fast and internally agitate for new ukraine elections to put in a russophile government.

It appears that his plan of massing in Belarus then trying to take keiv was a bridge too far. It would have worked if they had gotten into the city in the first week then dismantled the central government but it took both the russians and the rest of the world by surprise at the ferocity and skills of the defenders.

Now in between a rock and hard place he is determined to inflict enough damage so that europe will not want to see it come any closer and the baltics are really nervous.

I am glad that we are willing to supply anti armor anti aircraft with rifles and bullets. We cannot afford to extend heavy offensive weapons. I think the administration is doing its best with the limited options we are presented with.

my two centavos
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Note: the Baltic states (sans Finland) are all NATO members
One (uninvited) Russian boot on NATO soil = shootybang time
Expand Edited by pwhysall March 17, 2022, 12:40:05 AM EDT
New you think he cares?
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Not publicly
But he knows fine well that the very second he gets into a shooting war with NATO, Russia is done, forever.

So he'll very carefully walk the line.

He's absolutely batshit, and evil, and quite strange to boot, but he's definitely not stupid.
New Like tRUMP, he is a narcissistic psychopath living in a parallel universe.
He cannot lose and doubles up on his efforts to destroy Ukraine.

Hopefully, when his failure becomes too obvious to the people around him and the living and financial price becomes really high, he will be stripped of his power.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New When you understand that he's a massive irredentist, you will understand the "why" of the invasion
...or should I say "liberation"?
     He sounds nice - (rcareaga) - (6)
         it appears that putin overreached andis now having an internal debate to go all in or retrench - (boxley) - (3)
             Note: the Baltic states (sans Finland) are all NATO members - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 you think he cares? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Not publicly - (pwhysall)
         Like tRUMP, he is a narcissistic psychopath living in a parallel universe. - (a6l6e6x)
         When you understand that he's a massive irredentist, you will understand the "why" of the invasion - (pwhysall)

Like going to ELIZA for therapy...
49 ms