IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Which uses more memory, desktop Slack client or browser version?
The recently upgraded relic is handling most things smoothly, but loading the Slack tab still takes 20+ seconds. The latest official article I can find from the Slack team was when they created a new "tiny" client 5 years ago. At the time the desktop client regularly consumed 1G on its own, which was significantly more than the browser version.

Does anyone know current numbers? Am I better off using the app or a browser tab?
--

Drew
New Current desktop Slack on macOS ARM is using ~150M
3 workspaces, one of them quite large.

I don't use the browser version.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: Which uses more memory, desktop Slack client or browser version?
Edge tab: 175MB
Desktop app: 334MB

64-bit Windows 11.
New Thanks, about what I'd expect
--

Drew
New Firefox Slack report 11.8mb
(This is the IWETHEY Slack tab, which is the only one that I have open, data according to about:performance in Firefox)
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New Yeah, I'm disinclined to believe that
Tried it myself (Firefox 98.0.1)

The Slack tab uses 7/8MB - but that figure comes from Firefox's own task manager. Firefox's process exposure to Windows is a load of arse - just nine "Firefox" processes, using between 2 and 250 MB each. Helpful.

The Windows task manager tells me that Firefox as a whole, running nothing but the Slack tab, is using 605MB, which is congruent with both Chrome and Edge.
     Which uses more memory, desktop Slack client or browser version? - (drook) - (5)
         Current desktop Slack on macOS ARM is using ~150M - (malraux)
         Re: Which uses more memory, desktop Slack client or browser version? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Thanks, about what I'd expect -NT - (drook)
         Firefox Slack report 11.8mb - (InThane) - (1)
             Yeah, I'm disinclined to believe that - (pwhysall)

Well, from then on, we had a whale of a time. I took her to dinner, I took her to dance. I bought her a bouquet of flounders. And then I went home with her. And what did I get for my trouble? A case of the clams.
63 ms