IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Upgraded the relic with an SSD
I've got an ancient HP slim desktop that I keep around as my only Linux box. Starting sometime in the fall I noticed that there was an additional prompt on boot that I had to click through but didn't pay it much mind since I only rebooted when the power went out.

About a month ago I accidentally kicked the power cord out of the wall, and when I restarted I actually noticed the message: The HD was failing. Oops. So I ordered an SSD replacement.

Before it arrived, I rebooted again for some reason and it wouldn't come back up. It did get to the screen where I could select the Ubuntu boot options and I tried safe boot. It got far enough to get to a command line, and I verified that I had nothing on it that I needed to keep - everything backed up to the cloud.

So I put in the SSD, made an Ubuntu bootable thumbdrive, and loaded it up.

Holy crap this thing is faster. Don't get me wrong, it's still ancient with laughably little RAM, but it's usable. Spinning rust is dead to me.
--

Drew
New Slowest part of the machine.
SSD can definitely breathe some new life. We put one in the PS4 for great justice.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     Upgraded the relic with an SSD - (drook) - (1)
         Slowest part of the machine. - (malraux)

Nelson is one of those insulting, conceited, impatient, coffee-drinking, cell-phone-using, Jaguar-driving advertising executives that you find in only two places: the movies and real life. His motto is: Speed up and smell the coffee.
55 ms