IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A kinda related thread, on Russia's economy.
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1501360272442896388

Kamil Galeev @kamilkazani

Let's discuss Russian economy. Many underestimate its dependency upon technological import. Russia's so deeply integrated into Western technological chains that severing these ties will lead to its collapse. Sanctions are already effective and can be made even more efficient🧵

Basically, the mobsters control the "easy" stuff (oil, gas, mining), while the engineers and nerds run the complex stuff (manufacturing) but have no power and are undercut by the mobsters above them. So they're highly vulnerable to boycotts from the outside.

It's pretty long (be sure to expand the "more comments"), but very thought provoking.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting! Makes sanctions more powerful to bring Russia down.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     The arsehole went and did it: Russia invading Ukraine. - (CRConrad) - (36)
         Ukraine to challenge Russia’s seat and veto on the UN Security Council? - (CRConrad) - (27)
             Putin doesn't care - (crazy) - (26)
                 It's not 2014. - (Another Scott) - (20)
                     he will install a pro russian government and slowly withdraw after pacification - (boxley) - (3)
                         Well, even Russians are not going along with the invasion. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             It's worse than 2014 - (crazy)
                             Remember the Russian apartment bombings? - (crazy)
                     No, exactly. - (CRConrad)
                     No, maybe 100,000 spread across that population will. - (crazy) - (14)
                         Ukraine has a very long history of fighting outsiders. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                             "with many cases of collaboration with the German forces" don't hold yer breath on tht group -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                                 I was reluctant to cite that, but didn't have time to find something better. - (Another Scott)
                                 You couldn't have found a better way of sounding exactly like... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     nope, putin is entirely wrong and I hope the russian people pull him off his throne - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Then why the fuck do you sound exactly like his trolls all the time? - (CRConrad)
                                 Only ~9 years before Operation Barbarossa - (scoenye) - (5)
                                     You got it! And a lot of people sufferred from communism in other ways too. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                         Here's some related information in Smithsonian magazine. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                             A kinda related thread, on Russia's economy. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Interesting! Makes sanctions more powerful to bring Russia down. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                             Good read. Thank you. - (scoenye)
                             You are citing a group of people from 70 years ago - (crazy) - (1)
                                 They threw off an attempted dictator in 2014. A million in the streets. - (Another Scott)
                 Alex, I'm sorry, but ^ he's right. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     MM is totally right. How often do I agree with MM? -NT - (crazy) - (1)
                         Are you trying to weaken my conviction? </jk> -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     I'm glad to see your post and see that you're getting real news. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         You are quite right to be proud of Ukrainians. - (mmoffitt)
         Hmm.... Could this actually be a true story? (Spoiler alert: No.) - (CRConrad)
         DW livestream from Kyiv - (Another Scott)
         Ukraine strikes Russian air base. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Need to do that in White Russia (Belarus) as well! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Molotov cocktails... - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Link didn't work. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 It's a clip from a 2015 Maidan movie that's going around. - (Another Scott)
         Deutsche Sprachübung: - (CRConrad)

I promise you that if I am compelled to turn to the Dark Side on this issue you will come to yearn for the suave ripostes of CRConrad.
66 ms