IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have a Xerox Phaser 6510
I use 3rd party toner, which works just as well as the Xerox, but costs a fraction of the price. Some 3rd party toner vendors even warranty the print heads.
New We had Phasers at work for a while.
Started with HP LaserJets, of course, then moved on to Phasers, then Canon, then Ricoh or whatever they are now. They all seemed to work great for a year or 5, and then there were lingering issues that couldn't (or wouldn't) be fixed and then something else appeared. Getting timely service at our place is just about impossible since March 2020...

I know toner is a racket, but I've had bad luck with 3rd party inks - ruined a Canon inkjet with some "compatible" ink. I haven't tried too hard with the Lexmark - we don't print a lot and the peace of mind knowing that it will keep working (until some plastic bit breaks) is worth it to me.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Brother.
Brother makes tanks that have been mislabeled as printers. They take a fucking beating and just. Keep. Going.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New That used to be the LaserJet description
Then they fucked up the software, then the toner business model, then I stopped caring.
--

Drew
New I think the LaserJet 5 was the start of the decline.
The 2, the 3 and the 4 were all hugely reliable. After the 5 the marketing people got more control.

Wade.
New Decline started to set in . . .
as HP learned they had to compete on price, which they weren't that good at.

HP used Canon engines with an agreement that Canon would not make an HP compatible printer. HP developed an almost total monopoly on laser printers. All others were avoided by buyers because of need for special drivers, etc. for Canon printers in paticular.

Canon came out with a new high resolution engine and demonstrated it to HP. They said, "We will supply this engine to you provided you release us from the no compatible clause - otherwise, you can't have it at all".

The "HP Only" aura started to fade, and by the LJ 5 the playing field was almost level.
New 3 was a tank, 4 was a *fast* tank, 5 was an integrated weapons platform
--

Drew
     Laser printers are ridiculous. - (Another Scott) - (8)
         I have a Xerox Phaser 6510 - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             We had Phasers at work for a while. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 Brother. - (InThane) - (4)
                     That used to be the LaserJet description - (drook) - (3)
                         I think the LaserJet 5 was the start of the decline. - (static) - (2)
                             Decline started to set in . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             3 was a tank, 4 was a *fast* tank, 5 was an integrated weapons platform -NT - (drook)
         I have a cheapo Samsung B&W laser - (pwhysall)

Thine is a mere venal sin which may be atoned: dast not move it very far or very often, or Ever! -- to the 7-11 for a Big G{ulp..} and a Lottery ticket. This be thy penance.
61 ms