IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's not 2014.
He and Russia will pay a heavy price. 40,000,000 Ukrainians don't want him there and will fight.

Cheers,
Scott.
New he will install a pro russian government and slowly withdraw after pacification
is the plan dunno how well it is going to work
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Well, even Russians are not going along with the invasion.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New It's worse than 2014
Internet dependency combined with facial recognition? They can track down everybody in the population they don't like and take them away. This is not a democracy.

Who gives a s*** what the people on the streets are doing. Great, let's figure out everybody in that crowd via facial recognition and track them down individually and take them away. As far as Putin is concerned he runs the place and those people don't mean s***.
New Remember the Russian apartment bombings?
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-1999-russian-apartment-bombings-led-to-putins-rise-to-power-2018-3

He knows exactly what he's doing and he does not care how many people he kills in the process. And he does not give a s*** about Russia's financial issues with the world as compared to his rock solid certainty that Ukraine is his.
New No, exactly.
After four years of Trump presidency, and Bog knows how many more years of Russian troll factory influence on American (anti-)social media, one of the big differences vs 2014 is that now a much higher proportion of uncritical Putin mouthpieces online seem to be Americans.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New No, maybe 100,000 spread across that population will.
The rest will either be refugees or doing exactly what they are told. When you say no to the Russians they simply kill your family along with you. Then they toss out the bags of heads as a warning to others.

There will always be pockets of resistance and Putin doesn't give a s***.
New Ukraine has a very long history of fighting outsiders.
Nobody knows the future, but VVP has a tiger by the tail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Insurgent_Army

[eta] https://mobile.twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1497142166434598912

(via VladDavidzon)

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Feb. 25, 2022, 01:21:56 PM EST
New "with many cases of collaboration with the German forces" don't hold yer breath on tht group
New I was reluctant to cite that, but didn't have time to find something better.
Yeah, too many paint Ukraine as being a hotbed of Nazi-ism. It's not. History is complicated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You couldn't have found a better way of sounding exactly like...
...a Putin apologist.

It's getting harder and harder to accept the constant stream of pro-Trump, pro-Putin, pro-anything that's evil in this world posts from you as "just contrarianism" or "sheer coincidence".

One is reminded of the classic Mitchell and Webb sketch... Except, nobody in real life can of course actually be quite that naïve. Occam's Razor suggests it's genuine intent.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New nope, putin is entirely wrong and I hope the russian people pull him off his throne
pro trump? read me in my posts
New Then why the fuck do you sound exactly like his trolls all the time?
Are you actually totally fucking stupid, or just stupidly thoughtless?

If the later, just fucking simply stop that and start thinking in stead. Your brain is a free resource; the best way to ensure it's engaged before you post is keeping it switched on all the time.

Pro Trump? Yeah, that's what far too many of your posts sound exactly like, cher Michel.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Only ~9 years before Operation Barbarossa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Stalin tried to subjugate Ukraine by deliberately starving the population. Millions died. That goes a long way toward explaining why the Ukranians were happy to see the Germans arrive in 1941. (But the Nazis did not bother to hide their true intent so in general, that feeling was very brief.)
New You got it! And a lot of people sufferred from communism in other ways too.
The Germans screwed up their welcome in a number of ways.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Here's some related information in Smithsonian magazine.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New A kinda related thread, on Russia's economy.
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1501360272442896388

Kamil Galeev @kamilkazani

Let's discuss Russian economy. Many underestimate its dependency upon technological import. Russia's so deeply integrated into Western technological chains that severing these ties will lead to its collapse. Sanctions are already effective and can be made even more efficient🧵

Basically, the mobsters control the "easy" stuff (oil, gas, mining), while the engineers and nerds run the complex stuff (manufacturing) but have no power and are undercut by the mobsters above them. So they're highly vulnerable to boycotts from the outside.

It's pretty long (be sure to expand the "more comments"), but very thought provoking.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting! Makes sanctions more powerful to bring Russia down.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New Good read. Thank you.
Europe will be dealing with the shadow of that conflict for a long time to come. West-Germany dealt with the past, but the rest never did.

I do see parallels with what happened internally in Belgium, another one of those places that had always been part of one glorious empire or another, and the antics of part of Flanders'* populace leading up to and during WW II. The basics came down to the economic elites speaking French and the peasants Flemish. Queue some choice fake news about Flemish boys dying in the WW I trenches because their French speaking officers were unable to give them proper orders, and by the time the Germans came around again, there were several legions who saw them as saviors from oppression, and who were more than eager to do their bidding.

* For completeness, there was collaboration on the French speaking side as well, but the connection between das Deutsche volk and le people Wallonne was nowhere near as strong as the one to het Vlaamse volk.
New You are citing a group of people from 70 years ago
They grew up in a much different world. Most of current the Ukrainians grew up under Russian domination. Sure they revolted a bit but the tanks didn't roll in yet.

And that other group of bastards was exterminating the Poles at that point.

History may be complex but right now it's obvious who's going to simply take what he wants.

Remember they were partying in the nightclubs for the last couple of weeks because they have this fatalistic attitude of what will be will be. Well it will be now.
New They threw off an attempted dictator in 2014. A million in the streets.
Thread.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1497223166522970112

They will fight for their country.

Cheers,
Scott.
     The arsehole went and did it: Russia invading Ukraine. - (CRConrad) - (36)
         Ukraine to challenge Russia’s seat and veto on the UN Security Council? - (CRConrad) - (27)
             Putin doesn't care - (crazy) - (26)
                 It's not 2014. - (Another Scott) - (20)
                     he will install a pro russian government and slowly withdraw after pacification - (boxley) - (3)
                         Well, even Russians are not going along with the invasion. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             It's worse than 2014 - (crazy)
                             Remember the Russian apartment bombings? - (crazy)
                     No, exactly. - (CRConrad)
                     No, maybe 100,000 spread across that population will. - (crazy) - (14)
                         Ukraine has a very long history of fighting outsiders. - (Another Scott) - (13)
                             "with many cases of collaboration with the German forces" don't hold yer breath on tht group -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                                 I was reluctant to cite that, but didn't have time to find something better. - (Another Scott)
                                 You couldn't have found a better way of sounding exactly like... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     nope, putin is entirely wrong and I hope the russian people pull him off his throne - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Then why the fuck do you sound exactly like his trolls all the time? - (CRConrad)
                                 Only ~9 years before Operation Barbarossa - (scoenye) - (5)
                                     You got it! And a lot of people sufferred from communism in other ways too. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                         Here's some related information in Smithsonian magazine. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                             A kinda related thread, on Russia's economy. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Interesting! Makes sanctions more powerful to bring Russia down. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                             Good read. Thank you. - (scoenye)
                             You are citing a group of people from 70 years ago - (crazy) - (1)
                                 They threw off an attempted dictator in 2014. A million in the streets. - (Another Scott)
                 Alex, I'm sorry, but ^ he's right. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     MM is totally right. How often do I agree with MM? -NT - (crazy) - (1)
                         Are you trying to weaken my conviction? </jk> -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     I'm glad to see your post and see that you're getting real news. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         You are quite right to be proud of Ukrainians. - (mmoffitt)
         Hmm.... Could this actually be a true story? (Spoiler alert: No.) - (CRConrad)
         DW livestream from Kyiv - (Another Scott)
         Ukraine strikes Russian air base. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Need to do that in White Russia (Belarus) as well! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Molotov cocktails... - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Link didn't work. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 It's a clip from a 2015 Maidan movie that's going around. - (Another Scott)
         Deutsche Sprachübung: - (CRConrad)

I am LRPD, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.
129 ms