IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hue Bridges?
I don't know much about this stuff. I assume that your bulbs talk via some standard Wifi or BlueTooth protocol. Zigbee seems common and that's what Philips Hue uses.

A Hue Bridge ($60) apparently can control 50 lights. It sounds like that would be limiting for you.

https://www.hueessentials.com/ is an app that claims it can control things connected to multiple bridges, and there doesn't seem to be any issue with multiple Android devices connected to it (you could presumably put up cheap tablets while also having access via a phone). I haven't used it myself (we don't have any smart lights).

Someone on Balloon-Juice is always screaming the praises of high CRI LED bulbs. You may already know about such things, but in case you're not - they do exist and don't seem to be gigantically expensive. E.g. https://www.waveformlighting.com/high-cri-led

HTH a little. Let us know what you get.

Cheers,
Scott.
New You may wake up with dumb bulbs one day
Philips turned off support for Hue Bridge v1 with ~6 weeks notice. Anything that relies on a central service controlled/operated by a 3rd party is liable to suffer the same fate.
New Yeah, too complex
I want everything, I want it now, I want it cheap (enough), I want it reliable, screw the engineering triangle.

My current smart bulbs, infinite colors, in floor lamps are great. The floor lamps have three goosenecks so I get three of these bulbs which is plenty bright when combined for pretty much anything. They attach nicely to their cheapo remotes. Critically they will revert to being a normal light bulb with the switch on the back of the lamp turning off and on so no matter what I can always simply turn it off and on and bring it back with no remote.

There is no technology hurdle for anyone else in the household to turn the light on. Or off.

They are five bucks a piece when you buy them in packs of four with a single remote. I love these lights.

So I guess I'll stick with them and someday put up remote control Android centralized control unit for it. Until then 99% there.
New Good point. Thanks.
     Light recommendations please - (crazy) - (13)
         Is this a lights issue or a controller issue? - (drook) - (4)
             Currently a lights issue - (crazy) - (3)
                 Off the shelf vs DIY - (drook) - (2)
                     Interesting - (crazy) - (1)
                         Ayup - (drook)
         Hue Bridges? - (Another Scott) - (3)
             You may wake up with dumb bulbs one day - (scoenye) - (2)
                 Yeah, too complex - (crazy)
                 Good point. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Side link: - (InThane) - (3)
             I wonder how big this will get before Google/Amazon try to kill it -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 It's an open source project that requires some level of technical skill to run - (InThane)
             Thanks. Something to look forward to. -NT - (crazy)

You signed the Memo of Understanding...!
145 ms