IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New need someone to explain it to me slow
watching the tv news (abc) saw a story where a pregnant woman gave birth to a baby and tested positive for covid. Now that baby had been sitting in there for 9 months, sharing blood and bodily fluids with its mother. They put the woman in quarantine for 10 days and would not let her see the baby. WTF! stupidest thing I have ever heard. Unless I am missing something
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Placenta appears to be good at filtering out SARS-CoV-2
Mom being positive during childbirth does not mean the baby is. (Now imagine how long the queue of lawyers would be if something were to befall Jr. after contracting Covid from Mom if the hospital handed him/her over immediately...)

[We had the opposite happen. Grandson lit up 2 days after birth even though Mom tested negative. Luckily, he's came out not worse for wear.]
New I think colustrom would be more important than covid risk
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New AFAICT, they don't actually share blood.
I mean, kids can have a different blood type than their mother. Pregnant women don't show two different blood types when tested for that during pregnancy, do they?

As Sven said, the placenta is a good filter. As I understand it, it works a bit like a heat exchanger: Two different circulation systems in close contact, but kept separate. Oxygen and nutritients are filtered out of one and transferred into the other, and vice versa for waste products (including carbon... uh, dioxide?). On the whole, a remarkable piece of natural engineering for a temporary lump of gunk.

Yeah, I know it's not perfect: Junkie mothers can give birth to already-addicted babies. That shit hasn't been around long enough for evolution to fix it. Diseases have.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     need someone to explain it to me slow - (boxley) - (3)
         Placenta appears to be good at filtering out SARS-CoV-2 - (scoenye) - (1)
             I think colustrom would be more important than covid risk -NT - (boxley)
         AFAICT, they don't actually share blood. - (CRConrad)

Then when the mother turned back around I stuck my tongue out at the kid again.
39 ms