IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah - who cares? Organisms care.
I don't mean "care" like get all gushy about The Children. I mean "care" in the sense that I care about getting that next breath, like I care about dinner when I'm hungry, like my dog cares about getting out the door without a leash.

AI, as currently being developed, doesn't care. Deep Blue may win, but it will take no joy fron the victory and no pain from setbacks on the way.

Organisms care. Even pretty basic ones. The iguanas I'm taking care of for the summer really do like bananas. And I've never met a computer that liked - or didn't like - anything.

White guys in suits know best
- Pat McCurdy
New Agony of defeat
>> AI, as currently being developed, doesn't care. Deep Blue may win, but it will take no joy fron the victory and no pain from setbacks on the way. <<

How do you know that; you are not Deep Blue. Perhaps D.B. simply lacked a way to express it.

Anyhow, the reward-and-punishment system is fairly well understood, partly by research into drug addiction. The agony of defeat may simply be a high-ranked message that backtracks to the behavior trigger "path" that produced the defeat-causing behavior.

If you send a suppressor message back to the origin of given behaviors upon loss or defeat, eventually those nodes responsible for the offending behavior will accumulate "bad carma", sort of like Slashdot. (Still does not stop me from anti-OO trolling :-) Aka "Delta rule" of AI?

Besides, that still does not mean that emotion is needed for real AI. You may be carbon-centric in your thinking here. It might be romantic to think that humans are unique, but don't hold your breadth. No "binary bigotry" here. Lt. Riker won't let you bash Data like that.
Current directions of research do not look likely to ever produce an AI that cares. Fiction examines the possibility - and it may be possible, just not by continuing the way we are doing it now. Organisms - even rather simple ones - care and they do so presumably by entirely "natural" (as opposed to supernatural) processes, so it would appear that it is possible. But neithere a smarter algorithm nor more RAM will do it.

I guess what it comes down to is that the movie AI was mis-titled. The important innovation has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with drive.

- Pat McCurdy
New Not bashing Cmdr. Data
Current directions of research do not look likely to ever produce an AI that cares. Fiction examines the possibility - and it may be possible, just not by continuing the way we are doing it now. Organisms - even rather simple ones - care and they do so presumably by entirely "natural" (as opposed to supernatural) processes, so it would appear that it is possible. But neithere a smarter algorithm nor more RAM will do it.

I guess what it comes down to is that the movie AI was mis-titled. The important innovation has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with drive.

- Pat McCurdy
New Not bashing Cmdr. Data

- Pat McCurdy
New End Loop: Not bashing Cmdr. Data :)
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
     Article about brute force and AI - (tablizer) - (22)
         Interesting! Thanks for the link. - (a6l6e6x)
         Hooey. - (tseliot) - (20)
             exactamento how do you code an orgasm? - (boxley) - (8)
                 Re: exactamento how do you code an orgasm? - (a6l6e6x)
                 It appears that greed has been coded. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     "Lust" should be amusing .... -NT - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                         Microsoft has dibs on implementing that one... -NT - (ben_tilly)
                     P H B-line - (tablizer)
                 st....think tank - (tablizer) - (1)
                     Well, I suppose that's an appropriate... - (CRConrad)
                 Which is why camp #1 will never get anywhere -NT - (tseliot)
             Yeah - who cares? Organisms care. - (mhuber) - (5)
                 Agony of defeat - (tablizer) - (4)
                     Not bashing Cmdr. Data - (mhuber)
                     Not bashing Cmdr. Data - (mhuber)
                     Not bashing Cmdr. Data - (mhuber) - (1)
                         End Loop: Not bashing Cmdr. Data :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Well.. we shall *never* have That! - (Ashton)
             Body is not a prereq. - (tablizer) - (3)
                 Give me an alternate solution or stfu. - (tseliot) - (2)
                     "human-like" vs. "smart" - (tablizer) - (1)
                         On another tack - (pwhysall)

I don't like those orange potatoes like that.
180 ms