IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oh we have Wolves here all right . . .
. . but no jackals, except in the zoo.
New Re: Oh we have Wolves here all right . . .
The reference was to “the jackals of the press.” I’m unable to ascertain the provenance of the idiom, but it’s been around for quite a while.

cur-dially,
New I don't *know* the provenance, but ...
I'd bet you lunch someplace nice that it came from someone who didn't like the little people knowing his business.
--

Drew
New Yes, but wolves are everywhere else too, so that won't work to point out the American-ness of it.
New Yes, but I'm accustomed to people "presuming".
Example: a few years back some bank from the effete environs of San Francisco decided to invade the Southern California market. They considered bears to be symbolic of their bank, and swarmed LA County with billboards featuring the image of a bear, and the statement "Bears? in Southern California?".

They're gone now.

Yes, we have plenty of bears here, and they love our swimming pools and hot tubs. They are polite bears, though, and, if you wave them away, they will usually leave, without even asking for a towel.

And, a fun note on how things change, even within a lifetime.

When I was in Junior High, oh, so many years ago, so many that it's now called "middle school". A teacher gave an example of the difference between a metropolitan city and a cosmopolitan city by comparing Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Today, Los Angeles is the Capital of the Pacific Rim, and handling a full 1/3 of the entire country's foreign commerce - and San Francisco is a quaint tourist destination.

But they have bears up there, right?
     A Game of Throwns - (rcareaga) - (32)
         monarchy keeps the folks in circuses to go along with parliment -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             So the occasional idiocy is intentional? Or just tolerated as useful? -NT - (drook)
         Yes. - (pwhysall) - (22)
             Happy Toast's take on that famous picture. - (Another Scott)
             Hold on, what's this about parties? -NT - (drook) - (18)
                 Re: Hold on, what's this about parties? - (pwhysall) - (17)
                     If this was all in April/May, why is it on the news now? -NT - (drook) - (5)
                         The daggers are held back until they're most likely to succeed... -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Or, in more words... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             This - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Does that work over there? - (drook)
                                 It's become a real problem over here, I think. - (Another Scott)
                     over here lotsa bigwhigs flouted laws about restrictions, minor tutting here - (boxley) - (1)
                         None of them were the president, and none of them did it the day before Dolly's husband's funeral - (pwhysall)
                     Tiny bit of dissent on the "uncontroversially": - (CRConrad) - (8)
                         On legalities ... - (drook) - (2)
                             WTF kind of asshole move would that be? Why? They've had far, far worse, haven't they? -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Don’t think so. Succession is what it is. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         No-one here *really* wants Chucky on the big chair. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             If "being a bit of a knob" were a reason not to get the job... -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 I think you’re losing sight of a fundamental property of a monarchy… - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Don't think I did: That's exactly why sometimes far worse "knobs" than him have got the job. -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Does that "no-one" include the other royals? - (drook)
             You can’t recall a world without “Brenda” - (rcareaga)
             Good on the mil'try, that. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Wolves, jackals... Isn't this mostly because of his US-based activites? So, I'd guess coyotes. -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
             Oh we have Wolves here all right . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Re: Oh we have Wolves here all right . . . - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     I don't *know* the provenance, but ... - (drook)
                 Yes, but wolves are everywhere else too, so that won't work to point out the American-ness of it. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Yes, but I'm accustomed to people "presuming". - (Andrew Grygus)
         ICYMI, re BoJo - (Another Scott)

Due to a vast miscalculation, it was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.
118 ms