IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A Game of Throwns
The molester formerly known as HRH Andrew has been tossed to the wolves (or jackals) by The Firm, which presumably entertains doubts regarding the tone-deaf scion’s accounts of his connections to l’affaire Epstein. Has this gangrenous limb been amputated in time to preserve the monarchy? Discuss.

regally,

(I’ll note that, unlike a surprising number of my fellow rude colonials, I have no strong feelings about the Windsors, although it certainly strikes me that in recent decades they have provided a great deal of entertainment value for the money.)
New monarchy keeps the folks in circuses to go along with parliment
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New So the occasional idiocy is intentional? Or just tolerated as useful?
--

Drew
New Yes.
Chuck won't be in post for very long at all, if at all; Willy is hugely, massively popular with the lumpen proletariat.

Brenda is as popular now as ever. When she sat alone, at the funeral of her husband of seventy fucking three years, to comply with the COVID regulations, it really struck a chord with a lot of people.*

Interestingly, a significant driver for Randy Andy's defenestration with respect to his military titles was...

...the military itself.

*Images like this are, predictably, doing the fibreglass toby jug who currently infests #10 no good at all.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Jan. 15, 2022, 09:50:19 AM EST
New Happy Toast's take on that famous picture.
https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/status/1481747632313798659

They really are a bunch of ghouls. :-(

Best wishes for 2022.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Hold on, what's this about parties?
--

Drew
New Re: Hold on, what's this about parties?
You know how when you make something illegal, it’s probably best not to go right ahead and do the illegal thing? Especially when that thing is “fundamental social contact”.

Yeah. That.

I’ll recap.

May 2021. Johnson’s government is about to announce a tightening of the rules. Everyone is, at best, dismayed.

The new rules are:

1. You may not leave your home for any reason that isn’t work, essential shopping (food, basically), to support someone else (there’s a whole thing about “support bubbles” that I’ll skip here), or to take exercise twice a day.
2. Outwith the reasons above, you may not meet indoors with anyone outside your household. You may meet with one person from another household, outside, whilst maintaining social distancing.
3. Pubs, restaurants, bars, nightclubs: all closed.

That’s it. Your family life: turned off. Your social life: turned off. Any recreational activities? Nope.

The thing here is that these rules are not guidance, they are The Law.

So. That’s the sitch.

Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh and Mr Queen - dies in April. What would have been a big fancy funeral, with 800 invited guests, and no doubt many thousands of flag-wavers along the route and outside Buckingham Palace, is scaled back to a modest gathering (albeit in Westminster Abbey) of 30, diligently complying with the lockdown rules. She sits alone - per the above image - at her husband’s funeral.

The very day before this most somber of national events, in a time where it’s literally illegal to have a party to which anyone outside your household is invited, Johnson’s government has a number of boozy pissups at #10, in one case sending a peon to the Tesco over the road with a suitcase, to buy more wine. And this wasn’t a one-off - it turns out that the Johnson administration has a bit of a habit of organising drunken parties whilst the rest of the country is getting solo pissed on their sofa.

The law is one thing. The optics - well, that’s another matter. As you’re probably aware, even republicans in the UK will concede that if you’re going to have a Queen, you can’t really do better than Liz 2. She is widely and uncontroversially well-loved, a sentiment that crosses political, ethnic, and class boundaries.

So there’s that. What really put a cap on it, though, was the revelation that in one case, they were having one of these little parties just 20 minutes or so before the televised press conference announcing the new restrictions. Again, the law is one thing, the optics another.

The good burghers of the UK are fucking furious, to use a technical term. There’s a tiny rump of presumably emotionally-dead people who are saying things like “He’s apologised, so let’s move on”, but most people are off-the-chain miffed about this.

I could post a bunch of links, but basically visit the website of the UK newspaper of your choice and have a read, because this is front and centre on every single one.
New If this was all in April/May, why is it on the news now?
--

Drew
New The daggers are held back until they're most likely to succeed...
New Or, in more words...
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1482115060000514048

Flying_Rodent @flying_rodent

I don’t like this at all: revealing a tiny slice of a story you got from an interested insider with opaque, undisclosed aims; reporting the denials, putting out a bit more and more and then dropping the bombshell. I’m glad it’s now happening to the Tories but it feels dishonest.

Quote Tweet
Michael Birtwhistle @SalfordMH · Jan 14

Replying to @Bob0Mar @flying_rodent and @paulewart23

It's all the cornering him into making a defence only to coquettishly reveal the next tranche of stories which annihilate the previous position, and repeat at intervals until target is too embattled to survive. They think they've won but it will all dependent on MPs agreeing.

5:19 PM · Jan 14, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

(via dsquareddigest)

Cheers,
Scott.
New This
I disagree that it's dishonest.

Repeatedly trapping a liar in their own lies is kinda the opposite.
New Does that work over there?
Over here each new release is just an opportunity to restate the original lies and have them parroted by the media.
--

Drew
New It's become a real problem over here, I think.
Lots of reporters on the Former Guy beat held on to important stuff until they were ready to release their books months or years after it would have had a policy impact. Woodward is the most egregious example. Maggie Haberman is another.

I fear that a big problem with the BoJo situation is that the power that be are going to spin this as a problem unique to him, rather than yet another example of how horrible the Tories as a whole are...

I hope Labour's current lead is enough to clean house soon (but my understanding is that elections are still years away unless something unexpected happens).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New over here lotsa bigwhigs flouted laws about restrictions, minor tutting here
pelosi hairdressing, rumpeter lawn parties, newsom restauranting etc
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New None of them were the president, and none of them did it the day before Dolly's husband's funeral
(nearest thing you've got to the Queen, right?)
New Tiny bit of dissent on the "uncontroversially":
As PeeWee sez:
She is widely and uncontroversially well-loved, a sentiment that crosses political, ethnic, and class boundaries.
None of my biz, really, and not such a biggie that I'm constantly up in arms about it, but I can't be totally alone in the world in thinking that on one point she's being a bit of an arsehole: Her eldest son, while admittedly a bit boring-as-a-plank and not having been the best of husbands in his first marriage[1], seems on the whole to be a diligent and decent chap... Who is now either fast approaching or, more probably, over retirement age -- and he still hasn't even got to begin his real job (as King), but is still at the apprentice (PoW[2]) stage.

It's a shame she didn't follow her Dutch[3], Japanese, and IIRC Belgian colleagues' example and chuck the gig. In her case, sometime around the turn of the century, when she snatched the "longest reign" trophy from her great(-great...?)-gramma Vicky, or at the latest around the London Olympics / her Diamond Jubilee. Wonder if she regrets that now; would have got some more years in peace and quiet with hubby before she had to sit alone at his funeral. Bet she does.

I see two potential defenses of her stubbornness rearing their ugly heads, so let's nip them in the bud:

1) "But she's not alone in this, other monarchs linger on too!" Yeah, no, that's no defense. Megs of the Danes should also have chucked it around the time her hubby did; her son and successor is also quite old enough I think (not quite, but somewehere near Charlie's age?). Likewise wossface; Haakon, Harald something of Norway, and soon Cal Gustf[4] of Sweden too. At least the latter is eminently placed to do so; his Vicky[5] seems to have benefitted from her mother's injection of commoner blood into the shallow gene pool of European royalty by becoming, in the eyes of the great unwashed, at least as sympathetic as -- and objectively quite a bit sharper than -- he is.

2) "But she can't; the British constitution doesn't allow it!" Oh, bullpucky!

a) The "British constitution" is just as Common Law as the rest of the British legal system (or perhaps better, "system". In quotes). When it needs to change, it somehow magically always changes. And on this point, it needs to.

b) The Japanese constitution didn't allow it either; Emperors just couldn't quit. And yet, here we are -- Akihito quit. And neither the world nor even the Japanese Empire shattered because of it.

So, sure, not a huuuge controversy... But still, some, AFAICS?

___

[1]: Though in his defence, it seems he was forced into that whole debacle -- mainly by his Mum? -- just as much as his young bride was.

[2]: And wow, doesn't that usually stand for something else than "Prince of Wales"...

[3]: The two last of them, IIRC, before the current part-time KLM pilot; his Ma and Grandma.

[4]: Authentic signature. Admittedly, the poor buffoon is well-known for being a bit dyslexic on top of everything else; but still, your own name...

[5]: Named for the same common great(-great-great-whatever) grandmother.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New On legalities ...
When she finally kicks, is there a possibility they skip Chuck and go straight to Billy?
--

Drew
New WTF kind of asshole move would that be? Why? They've had far, far worse, haven't they?
New Don’t think so. Succession is what it is.
New No-one here *really* wants Chucky on the big chair.
He's broadly perceived as being a bit of a knob, and no-one likes his wife.
New If "being a bit of a knob" were a reason not to get the job...
New I think you’re losing sight of a fundamental property of a monarchy…
…to wit: it doesn’t really matter what any of us proles think.
New Don't think I did: That's exactly why sometimes far worse "knobs" than him have got the job.
New Does that "no-one" include the other royals?
I gave less than a third of a shit at the time, but I did pick up that he was somewhat pressured into his first marriage, and that the fam didn't much like that he kept seeing Camilla on the side. I've idly wondered how badly they wanted to keep her farther from the throne.
--

Drew
New You can’t recall a world without “Brenda”
And, with twenty years on you, neither can I, although technically I was born a few months in advance of her coronation.

When she pegs out, she’ll be the last world figure I can remember from my single-digit years: Eisenhower, Kennedy, Churchill, De Gaulle, Macmillan, Adenauer, Khrushchev, Castro, Nehru, Mao, Nasser, Franco, Ben Gurion, Hammarskjöld…all gone. I think a little bit of me will die with the monarch.

colonially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga Jan. 15, 2022, 10:42:14 AM EST
New Good on the mil'try, that.
New Wolves, jackals... Isn't this mostly because of his US-based activites? So, I'd guess coyotes.
New Oh we have Wolves here all right . . .
. . but no jackals, except in the zoo.
New Re: Oh we have Wolves here all right . . .
The reference was to “the jackals of the press.” I’m unable to ascertain the provenance of the idiom, but it’s been around for quite a while.

cur-dially,
New I don't *know* the provenance, but ...
I'd bet you lunch someplace nice that it came from someone who didn't like the little people knowing his business.
--

Drew
New Yes, but wolves are everywhere else too, so that won't work to point out the American-ness of it.
New Yes, but I'm accustomed to people "presuming".
Example: a few years back some bank from the effete environs of San Francisco decided to invade the Southern California market. They considered bears to be symbolic of their bank, and swarmed LA County with billboards featuring the image of a bear, and the statement "Bears? in Southern California?".

They're gone now.

Yes, we have plenty of bears here, and they love our swimming pools and hot tubs. They are polite bears, though, and, if you wave them away, they will usually leave, without even asking for a towel.

And, a fun note on how things change, even within a lifetime.

When I was in Junior High, oh, so many years ago, so many that it's now called "middle school". A teacher gave an example of the difference between a metropolitan city and a cosmopolitan city by comparing Los Angeles to San Francisco.

Today, Los Angeles is the Capital of the Pacific Rim, and handling a full 1/3 of the entire country's foreign commerce - and San Francisco is a quaint tourist destination.

But they have bears up there, right?
     A Game of Throwns - (rcareaga) - (32)
         monarchy keeps the folks in circuses to go along with parliment -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             So the occasional idiocy is intentional? Or just tolerated as useful? -NT - (drook)
         Yes. - (pwhysall) - (22)
             Happy Toast's take on that famous picture. - (Another Scott)
             Hold on, what's this about parties? -NT - (drook) - (18)
                 Re: Hold on, what's this about parties? - (pwhysall) - (17)
                     If this was all in April/May, why is it on the news now? -NT - (drook) - (5)
                         The daggers are held back until they're most likely to succeed... -NT - (Another Scott)
                         Or, in more words... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             This - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Does that work over there? - (drook)
                                 It's become a real problem over here, I think. - (Another Scott)
                     over here lotsa bigwhigs flouted laws about restrictions, minor tutting here - (boxley) - (1)
                         None of them were the president, and none of them did it the day before Dolly's husband's funeral - (pwhysall)
                     Tiny bit of dissent on the "uncontroversially": - (CRConrad) - (8)
                         On legalities ... - (drook) - (2)
                             WTF kind of asshole move would that be? Why? They've had far, far worse, haven't they? -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Don’t think so. Succession is what it is. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         No-one here *really* wants Chucky on the big chair. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             If "being a bit of a knob" were a reason not to get the job... -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 I think you’re losing sight of a fundamental property of a monarchy… - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Don't think I did: That's exactly why sometimes far worse "knobs" than him have got the job. -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Does that "no-one" include the other royals? - (drook)
             You can’t recall a world without “Brenda” - (rcareaga)
             Good on the mil'try, that. -NT - (CRConrad)
         Wolves, jackals... Isn't this mostly because of his US-based activites? So, I'd guess coyotes. -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
             Oh we have Wolves here all right . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 Re: Oh we have Wolves here all right . . . - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     I don't *know* the provenance, but ... - (drook)
                 Yes, but wolves are everywhere else too, so that won't work to point out the American-ness of it. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     Yes, but I'm accustomed to people "presuming". - (Andrew Grygus)
         ICYMI, re BoJo - (Another Scott)

When things get spooky... blame it on the Boogie!
116 ms