IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Looking for induction stove tops with temperature control
I can't find any. I can find single burners such as this:

Max Burton 6515 Digital ProChef-1800 Induction Cooktop, Digital Controls, 10 Adjustable Watt and 15 Temperature Settings, Timer, Program Lock, Programmable Cooking, 1800W, 120V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01317V5B6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GGSMHWTAPW837GJDA73S

But if I want a complete stovetop I don't see them available. Anyone see any anywhere?

The reason I need this is that I love my induction hot plate but the temperature control is atrocious. I didn't expect it to exactly match but there can be a 60° variance. And it's unpredictable.
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 10, 2022, 01:06:51 PM EST
New Given the high magnetic fields, you may be out of luck.
There are some Reddit threads saying that digital thermometers can go haywire because of the strong magnetic fields. That's not surprising to me - thermocouples generally only put out a few mV, so if you've got gigantic magnetic fields varying along the thermocouple wires, the induced voltages may dominate over the thermal voltage.

Something that might work would be if you could find a cooktop with each "burner" having a pyrometer underneath to see the temperature of the pan. I don't know if such a thing exists. It would probably be expensive if it does.

Here's a Houzz thread where someone says you want controls with lots of increments (21 for a Bosch something or other).

Could you use an old-fashioned glass "candy" thermometer and tweak things yourself?

No personal experience with these things, but I'm strongly considering induction when we finally redo our kitchen... Let us know what you decide!

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New They are there in the single burner
Breville Control Freak

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5MZZ5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_601NRKTCQ7QR7J56BW5T

I was hoping to find the same style of control but on a stove with multiple inductive burners. I definitely like them more than any other type of heat source.

I have no desire to shuffle a hot plate around.

Right now the stove in my house has one non-working burner and a crack across the glass top. So if I could just put some stuff on top of it I'd be happy

It looks like I'm going to pick up a dual burner (standard control medium wattage, cheap) and one of these.

And of course I can pay attention with my temperature probe. That's what I did today. I made ghee. Which simply means taking a pound of butter and simmering it at around 240° to get rid of the water and then scooping the milk solids and then filtering and then putting it back in and raising that temperature to around 320 for a while just to make sure everything has dropped out or gotten burnt out.

Took about an hour. My temperature on the stove said 260 for me to achieve 320. If I hadn't used the thermometer I would have set it for 320 and burnt it because 350 is the magic do not cross number at that stage. And 320 setting would have probably taken me to around 380 But the difference varies at multiple settings so I can never be sure of what it would do.

I took a sous vide steak that I cooked a couple months ago and seared it in the ghee for 40 seconds a side and it was perfect. Buttery medium rare steak. Serious sear on the outside and melt in your mouth on the inside.

The induction burner I have right now sears really well.

And speaking of sous vide stuff I have 6 lb of onions sliced up caramelizing right now. I will never spin onions in a pan again to caramelize them.

https://orgasmicchef.com/soup/sous-vide-caramelised-onions/
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 10, 2022, 11:30:27 PM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Jan. 10, 2022, 11:32:35 PM EST
     Looking for induction stove tops with temperature control - (crazy) - (2)
         Given the high magnetic fields, you may be out of luck. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             They are there in the single burner - (crazy)

Using this formulation, the cat can be dead and deader.
39 ms