IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Home automation recommendations please
I have 6 independent wall heaters throughout the house. Electric. 1 of them has little spinny knob on it and rest are hooked up to wall thermostats. I'll have to get an electrician in for the spinning knob hook up and I'll have him do all the others at once.

I want a centralized mechanism of control. The ones with the thermostats should be an easy swap out remote control thermostat.

This solution should not be limited to just controlling these thermostats. I should be able to put a remote control device on any wall switch controlling lights and electrical outlets.

It should be controlled by the same system.

The controls should be via some type of wall mounted/portable tablet (multiple control tablets, one on each floor) and should also be controllable from both my Android and my wife's Apple phones.

So does anybody have a preferred solution for this issue?
New One of these decades I want to set this up:
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New Thanks for the pointer.
We got a new furnace/AC/heat pump last year and with it a wifi thermostat - a Trane XL1050. It works fine (though is slow, especially on rebooting) and the phone app works fine (but it's a pain to have to sign in with my fingerprint every time (the fingerprint reader on my S20+ is temperamental)).

That uses something called Z-Wave for automation comms. We don't have any other "smart home" stuff enabled and don't even use voice assistant stuff. We're becoming luddites about a lot of that stuff. ;-) So, I haven't looked into any sort of system for running anything else. Yet.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I am a complete luddite.
We're getting a heat pump/air handler system for the house that comes with a wifi hookup. Guess what's not getting hooked up to the wifi. Same with our "smart" TVs; I've set up cheap mini PCs connected to them and have sandboxed them to hell and back. We'll be replacing our garage door openers pretty soon - guess what, I'm sure they'll have wifi and phone apps, not getting installed.

Pretty soon the only thing I'll have on my network is an HP 4L and a loaded handgun next to it in case it makes a suspicious noise...
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New same here, hacked the alarm system prior owners installed and it is answerable only to me
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Home automation recommendations please - (crazy) - (4)
         One of these decades I want to set this up: - (InThane) - (3)
             Thanks for the pointer. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 I am a complete luddite. - (InThane) - (1)
                     same here, hacked the alarm system prior owners installed and it is answerable only to me -NT - (boxley)

It was a good party...
88 ms