IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, was just trying to do something to fix the annoyance now
It's not worth the time to clean it. A new mouse of the same quality will cost less than a can of switch cleaner. I just don't have either lying around the house atm.

Since mouses have gone laser the quality of even the cheapest is good enough for me. If I were a gamer or a graphic artist I could justify paying more.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Dec. 7, 2021, 01:26:12 PM EST
New I paid A LOT more...
...but that was just to get a left-handed one. The right button is the default primary one, but above all it's the physical form that's mirrored and fits better under the left hand (incl. thumb buttons on the right, not that I really use them).

Several manufacturers used to have leftie variants of mid-range mousies, but not anymore. :-(
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New SteelSeries Sensei Ten here. Ambidextrous.
New Beware Logitech - even their higher end mice
The "switch" is a semi-exposed copper foil acting as contact and spring. It eventually develops patina on the contact spot and clicks become stutters. I'm too cheap to toss even a $50 mouse so I sand the contacts every 6 months or so.
New Heh, we've got a different range for "cheap"
I'm talking about <$10. Will probably buy 2 and keep one as a spare.

[edit] Whoops, forgot to escape the LT symbol and the rest disappeared.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Dec. 10, 2021, 12:16:26 PM EST
New I have no idea what that meant
I've got $100 trackballs. I can't imagine replacing them with anything else. I will clean them as needed. Do you have anything that special?
New $6 is kind of expensive for a mouse to me
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yeah, that's my range
Going to hit Best Buy this afternoon and get two of whatever are the cheapest wired ones they've got. I may splurge and make one of them a wireless if the charging looks super convenient, and it's still under $15.
--

Drew
New I've become a fan of these Anker vertical things for $28.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIFNTMC/

Mousing around for 10 hours a day still bothers my wrist, so I don't do that often, but this version seems to help quite a bit when I have to do so.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I have one of those
Replaced it last week with a Logitech because the Anker kept stuttering and failing to work any time it got more than a few feet away from the computer.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New What horrible marketing

The top one looks so much straighter and more relaxed.
--

Drew
New Look again.
More carefully.

In both pics, the total visual height of the hand is about equal, with a slope from the wrist up to the knuckle where the index finger starts. But there's a difference:

In the top pic, the height and upward slope is because the hand is actually angled upwards at the wrist. In the bottom one, the hand is rotated around the axis of the forearm; the "height" is because a hand is wider than it is thick, the visual upward slope not because anything is bent but because the hand widens -- so "width" is vertical(1) in this picture -- from the wrist.

At least that how it looks and feels when I just tried it, empty-handed, on my desk. (Dang, maybe gotta get one of these contraptions?)

But yeah, you're right, as marketing it sucks: One shouldn't be required to either have to look twice and think hard about what one is seeing, or come away with the belief that both are equally un-ergonomic -- but "they've just drawn a straight arrow through an equally contorted hand!" was my first-glance reaction, too.

Then again, it appears they suck at marketing in general: "Vetical"?

___

1: Or at least slanted; the forearm in that lower pic doesn't appear to be rotated 90 degrees compared to the upper one, but perhaps around 45. Or maybe it's just photographed from too much of a height.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Easier way to visualize it.
Without thinking about it, stand up and lift your right forearm so that it's at a 90 degree angle to your body. Your thumb is mostly up and your fingers are nearly in a vertical plane. These vertical mice come closer to approximating that position than normal mice or trackballs (where you have to rotate your wrist to be horizontal).

Does it actually make a difference? Dunno. But at least it's exercising different muscles and maybe that helps.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I would hate it
I do fine movements with my fingers. This would require me to move my entire arm. No thanks.
--

Drew
New It makes sense for their target market
The two fingers that allow me to press a typical mouse causes my forearm to trigger pain.

Anybody in my pain situation will look at this ad and think that it's wonderful. When I use a trackball I use my thumb to press the button for dragging things. So this mouse would allow me to do that. Not like I want this mouse. I'm happy with my trackball. But for people that have my pain situation and have not come across a decent track ball, they would like this.
Expand Edited by crazy Dec. 11, 2021, 02:29:51 AM EST
New Fine finger movements still work
The only difference is the wrist angle.
Regards,
-scott
New Why lift up your RIGHT forearm; doesn't it work for you if you do it with the left one?
Are you assymetrical in that respect? I think most peope are symmetrical. :-)
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Symmetrical yes, ambidextrous no
I have an odd branch of that.

My fine motor control is on my left side so I write as a left-handed person. But my strength and distance accuracy is on my right side so I play baseball right handed.

I can't use a mouse or trackball left handed though.
New It's a right-handed vertical mouse. (I don't think they have a lefty version.) ;-)
New I can't get on with those...
...but I know a few people who are firmly in the "from my cold dead hands" camp with theirs.

Seems to be one of those things that if it works for you, it really works for you.
New The worst thing about them is the height
I'm forever throwing the poor thing on the floor because my arm isn't yet trained to move to the mouse high enough.
Regards,
-scott
New I too value my input devices
I'm typing this on a £100 CoolerMaster CK550 mechanical keyboard (cherry red MX switches, for the switchnerds amongst you) and pointing at things with a SteelSeries Sensei Ten, which was about £60.
New I didn't consider it cheap
Up to this one, I had been using mostly no-name mice but I got tired of fighting the cable. I had had a cheap cordless one but the rechargeable batteries wouldn't last more than a couple days.

I got the Logitech one model before the dark field laser because the battery life was excellent, it did everything I needed and I figured the thing would last. I guess 2 out of 3 is the best to hope for :-/
     Mouse troubleshooting - (drook) - (24)
         Depends on the mouse. £100 SteelSeries? Dismantle and troubleshoot. - (pwhysall) - (23)
             Yeah, was just trying to do something to fix the annoyance now - (drook) - (22)
                 I paid A LOT more... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     SteelSeries Sensei Ten here. Ambidextrous. -NT - (pwhysall)
                 Beware Logitech - even their higher end mice - (scoenye) - (19)
                     Heh, we've got a different range for "cheap" - (drook) - (18)
                         I have no idea what that meant - (crazy) - (16)
                             $6 is kind of expensive for a mouse to me -NT - (boxley) - (14)
                                 Yeah, that's my range - (drook) - (13)
                                     I've become a fan of these Anker vertical things for $28. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                         I have one of those - (malraux)
                                         What horrible marketing - (drook) - (8)
                                             Look again. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                                 Easier way to visualize it. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                     I would hate it - (drook) - (2)
                                                         It makes sense for their target market - (crazy)
                                                         Fine finger movements still work - (malraux)
                                                     Why lift up your RIGHT forearm; doesn't it work for you if you do it with the left one? - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                         Symmetrical yes, ambidextrous no - (crazy)
                                                         It's a right-handed vertical mouse. (I don't think they have a lefty version.) ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         I can't get on with those... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             The worst thing about them is the height - (malraux)
                             I too value my input devices - (pwhysall)
                         I didn't consider it cheap - (scoenye)

Sorry, no can do.
208 ms