IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well that's about 6 hours I won't get back...
Running Win 10 on an Opteron machine that has been fine for ages. It's my home PC, sharing my 4k TV monitor. I rarely flip over to it - maybe once a month, to make sure it's updated.

This morning the desktop scaling was off from the 100% I set it at (Windows wants to run it at 300% scaling which looks absolutely ridiculous on a 50" TV). So, I tried to change it back. What's this? Where's the window to change the display properties? I guess it's off-screen, but why all of a sudden?? Better reboot.

Reboot - uhoh. Grey screen. What's going on??

Eventually figure out how to boot to Safe Mode. Everything works fine. Hmm... Maybe the graphics drivers got corrupted.

Download the latest AMD drivers for the RX580 Sapphire card I have. Have to run their Cleanup utility to remove the old ones, Ok. Have to reboot. Ok.

What's this?? Grey screen again?? WTF??

Long story short, a few months ago - before I hooked it up to the 4k TV - I tried using it via a TightVNC window. But the graphics card and/or Windows wouldn't let me see anything (only got a black TightVNC window) until I plugged a dummy monitor plug (simulates a 1080P monitor) into the graphics card. It worked fine, but I eventually got the PC hooked up to the 4k TV and didn't use TightVNC with it any more. And I forgot about the plug.

The plug didn't cause any issues through multiple reboots, Windows Updates, etc., over the past few months, but this morning Winders apparently decided that I wanted to extend the 4k desktop over the fake 1080P monitor. And make that fake monitor the primary monitor (where all new windows opened first).

Grrr...

I still hate Winders...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Windows handles multiple monitors about as well as Humpty Dumpty handles walls
--

Drew
     Well that's about 6 hours I won't get back... - (Another Scott) - (1)
         Windows handles multiple monitors about as well as Humpty Dumpty handles walls -NT - (drook)

Calendars are a minor issue.
62 ms